(4) A Little Colder

Yoongi was patient.

He continued working diligently, careful not to wake the blonde-haired dongsaeng asleep on his shoulder. At random points, Hoseok would let out a sigh or snuggle his head deeper into the curve of Yoongi's neck.

Yoongi would pause when the latter occurred, blinking quickly as a sort of coping mechanism. It was working as well, but what was he coping from? Fear? Attraction?

Yeah, Yoongi didn't let these thoughts in for more than a brief moment before shutting them down and continuing to work. Maybe the distraction his work provided was the true coping mechanism here. The motors of his fingers worked at tapping the keys, filling the glaring white document with coherent black pixels to form letters, words, sentences, paragraphs.

If anything, Yoongi tells himself. Just take it as a compliment that the material of your jumper is so cozy.

He made a mental note to wear the jumper more often.

But the longer Hoseok was passed out on Yoongi, the more the older managed to lose concentration.

His head is the perfect weight, this could be worse.

Wait but wouldn't his neck hurt?

Should I wake him up? No no no, that's rude.

His hair smells so nice, what shampoo does he use? Or is it his conditioner?

His hair did smell nice. Matching the colour, the scent was tangy- like a combination of citruses. A zesty fruit salad. 

Maybe Yoongi was just hungry.

Yoongi shook the thought, unable to get up for food anyway, and continued typing. He was working on translating all the hardcopy notes onto a shared document with the rest of the group. Whilst the monotonous task would have been boring for others, perhaps, Yoongi found it relaxing. 

Especially with  Hoseok gently breathing a peaceful melody in the background.

Time seemed to slush by slowly, not caring for the predicament Yoongi was trapped in. He subconsciously willed time onward, but ignored the voice that told him he enjoyed the feeling of Hoseok so close.

His stomach fluttered.

"No," Yoongi verbally told himself off, and Hoseok stirred a little.

Yoongi clamped his mouth shut.

Soon enough, after what felt like a silenced lifetime, Hoseok's deep breaths returned.

Yoongi loosed a breath he didn't realise he was holding. His heart was pounding rapidly in his chest. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel like this? Why Hoseok?

All questions which whirred through his mind, yet ones he refused to answer. At least, not yet.

What tired him out so much?

The one question Yoongi wished he had the answer to.

Typical.

Just as Yoongi reached out to the keyboard to continue his work, a pair of arms wrapped around his own. He flushed, a burning sensation tickling the apples of his cheeks. Hoseok snuggled closer, using Yoongi's right arm as leverage. His fingers softly wound their way into the jumper material hanging loosely around Yoongi's side, entwining themselves in the fabric.

Okay, okay, okay.

Yoongi didn't know what was happening. How was Hoseok not awake yet? Why was his heart beating so fast? The troublesome organ in question was, in fact, thrumming rapidly at his ribcage. It was like a caged bird fluttering around his chest.

Yoongi's palms were clammy,  coated with a sticky sweat. He couldn't move a muscle, paralysed in position. But he had to say something.

"H-Hoseok," Yoongi stammered, his voice barely audible. The man attached to his side remained stationary.

He swallowed.

"Hoseok-ah," he tried a bit louder, managing to shimmy his shoulder a little in an attempt to stir the unconscious blonde.

Thankfully, Hoseok slowly blinked his eyes open. His sapphire eyes met the computer screen in front of him, and flickered around in confusion, checking his surroundings. His brows furrowed, and he scrunched his nose cutely.

But then he realised.

Glanced down.

Saw the arm he had coiled around belonged to Yoongi.

When his eyes met Yoongi's, which were looking down at him warily, they filled with a shaky panic. Yoongi's face was still heated with embarrassment.

Like a spring, Hoseok snapped away and just like that Yoongi's arm was free, and a little colder.

"I-," Hoseok looked petrified- mortified, even- as he stood abruptly, sending the chair wheeling backwards.

He began to gather his books hastily, shoving pages into binders haphazardly.

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," he repeats frantically, stammering through apologies. "So sorry, really really sorry."

Yoongi watches wordlessly, wanting to say something, anything. The words caught on the tip of his tongue. He looked onward blankly, the inside of his mouth feeling like a wad of styrofoam.

"I- I need to go," he stuttered, his face aflame. "I'm really sorry, so sorry."

Hoseok all but runs to the door, fumbling with the lock, before finally swinging it open and leaving. It was silent for a couple more seconds, and then Yoongi hears the front door swing open and shut with a resounding 'thud'.

Just like that, Hoseok was gone.

No, it's okay.

Don't leave.

I want you to stay.

Please stay.

Stop apologising.

You could at least shut the door.

All things Yoongi wanted to say, but couldn't. He was still completely shellshocked, blinking slowly to process what had just happened.

Unwanted, Jungkook and Taehyung poked their heads in, glancing cautiously at one another. Jungkook nudged Taehyung over forcefully, and Taehyung rubbed his hurt shoulder in silent protest.

"Um, Yoongi hyung?" he speaks warily, eyes flicking between Yoongi and the empty chair Hoseok had occupied merely thirty seconds earlier. It was still spinning slightly on its axis. "Is everything okay?"

Yoongi nodded slowly, and waved the two troublesome teens away with a flick of his hand. Knowing how deadly Yoongi's silence was, they both fled, scampering away with haste.

But Yoongi didn't care, no, not at all.

All Yoongi could think was how warm Hoseok was pressed against him.

"He didn't even say goodbye."

~~~

A/N:

Lol I really shouldn't be writing this at school

- Ari