Chapter Two

The wind blew harshly outside of the Stark Manner. The fireplace was lit in the main parlor where (Y/n) paced. Tony was out working on something for his newly inherited company and wouldn't be back until six. Plenty of time to think.

"Ms. (Y/n), is everything alright?" Jarvis set a tray of tea on the side table. "Some tea to help calm your nerves?" A small smile bloomed on her face.

"You always know what to do, thank you." She accepted the cup he handed her, sitting on the armchair.

"Ana would know what to say, some sort of advice to make this easier on you." Jarvis laid a hand on her shoulder. "No matter what happens, I want to thank you for being there for him." With that, he left her alone. She laid down the teacup and softly touched her flat stomach.

"Howard Edwin, a perfect name if you're a boy." She cooed softly. There she sat waiting for him to come home. She had just picked out a girl's name when she heard him shut the front door. "It's now or never." She whispered.

Snow fell silently outside the window of (Y/n)'s London apartment. She was curled up in her recliner with a newspaper. The front page was dated May 5th, 2012, and was plastered with his face. She remembered being woken up by her daughter frantically calling her, telling her to turn on the news. Though it was well into the morning, all of Britain's news networks were focused on New York. Her daughter explained quickly that an alien force was attacking and that a group of heroes had been assembled to fight them. (Y/n) cried when that famous red and gold suite flashed across the screen. The memory of his lifeless body plummeting to the earth still plagued her dreams. She was forced from her thoughts when her cellphone started ringing.

"Hi, darling."

"Hi mum, I'm coming over today with Jonas before we head back to the States."

"Alright sweetheart. I'll make your favourite for dinner."

"Love you, see you at four."

"I love you, Dani." (Y/n) hung up the phone. A soft smile resided on her lips as she stood. Her back popped when she stretched and crossed the flat to assess the stock in the fridge. "Looks like I need to run to the store."

(Y/n) spent the afternoon shopping, returning to her apartment with copious amounts of food. She knew why Danielle was bringing her boyfriend over, they had been dating since their freshman year at Duke, it wasn't hard to figure out.

"Mum?" The door opened. "Mum, we're here." Dani ushered her boyfriend inside.

"Dani!" (Y/n) walked into the living room and hugged her daughter tightly. She moved on to hug the shy young man beside her. "Hello again Jonas, keeping her out of trouble, I hope."

"As well as I can, Ms. (L/n)."

"Well make yourselves at home. I'll start the sausage!"

"You didn't have to do this." Dani sat on the couch with Jonas. (Y/n) could tell they were both nervous and it made her smile. She was glad that they were happy together, she reminisced while she made her daughter's favourite meal, breakfast complete with black pudding, beans, sausage. She set out three helpings and called the two young lovers to the table.

"So how is school going? Jonas I hear you are almost done with your degree? I want tickets to your first big concert."

"Yes ma'am, I'll be sure you both get front row seats." He laughed, pulling out Dani's chair for her. The three laughed and enjoyed dinner, retiring to the living room once more.

"Mum, Jonas and I have something to tell you." She sat in Jonas' lap, his arm wrapped around her waist. (Y/n) held in her big smile.

"What is it sweetheart?"

"Well, a few weeks ago Jonas proposed to me-"

"That's wonderful!" She crossed the room and hugged her only child.

"That's not what we were worried about." Dani pulled away, looking into her mother's eyes.

"We want to invite dad." (Y/n) froze. "I know you haven't seen him since you got pregnant with me but I think it's time he meets me, and Jonas."

"Sweetheart, I-" Her thoughts ran wild, her heart racing. "He told me he wasn't ready to be a father, that's why I left, why I moved here, you know that."

"That was twenty-five years ago, he's grown up!" Dani started to tear up, her mother pulling her in again. "You always said he'd want to meet me and I think now is the time."

"I know, baby. I'm so proud of you, Danielle, do whatever you need to. I will support you no matter what." She kissed her forehead.

"I know, mum, I know."