Chapter Seven

Dani would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous about the coming weekend. Her mom's flight would be coming in around midnight and Jonas was gone to pick her up. She thought out the coming days so that there was minimal contact between the two, afraid that this would blow up if they were together longer than necessary. She dozed off in the armchair waiting. She woke up the next morning in her bed, Jonas sleeping soundly beside her. The strong smell of coffee hit her nose and she dashed to the small kitchenette the hotel suite had.

"Good morning, sweetheart." (Y/n) smiled at her, setting down the newspaper.

"Mum!" Dani rushed to hug her mom. "I'm so glad you came! How was your flight?"

"Just fine, dear." The older woman laughed at her excited daughter. "So, what is the plan for the day?" They broke apart, (Y/n) sitting back down at the breakfast nook and sipping her coffee, scouring over the day's news.

"Well, the first thing we need to do is go to the Tower and introduce you to everyone. Uncle Rhodey is going to be there too, he's been telling me stories all week."

"All bad, I'm sure." She chuckled nervously.

"Dad isn't going to be there so you don't have to be so scared." Dani reassured. "Pepper Potts had to see him about something."

"Is he happy with her?" (Y/n) teared up, focusing on the newsprint in front of her.

"She left him, or so that's what Bruce told me." Her mom breathed a relieved sigh. "He said it destroyed him when she did, guess it reminded him of-" Dani cut herself off, covering her mouth.

"I'm sure it did." Silence suffocated the air around them, neither one sure of what to say next.

"Good morning." Jonas entered the room, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. The two women smiled at him.

"Good morning, handsome." Dani pulled him down for a kiss. "We need to get ready, mum." The three got showered and dressed, leaving the hotel to meet with the Avengers. The skyscraper was rather intimidating regardless of (Y/n)'s identity. They entered into the lobby, Dani waving at the receptionist who smiled in return.

"Are you ready, mom?" Jonas squeezed (Y/n)'s shoulder. With a deep breath, she nodded, smiling at the fact he called her 'mom'.

"It'll be fine." Dani whispered, leading her mother to the elevator. They could hear people talking on the other side of the door but they went quiet when they opened. (Y/n)'s eyes scanned the room, heart pounding in her ears. Dani was telling the truth, Tony was nowhere to be seen. Her daughter led her out into the room, holding her hand. Someone stepped forward.

"(Y/n)!" Rhodey threw his arms around her, spinning her around. "(Y/n), I've missed you so much." She broke down sobbing, clutching to her old friend.

"Rhodey, I'm so sorry! I should have said goodbye, but I was so scared." She cried, neither one letting go.

"Shh, no need to be sorry. I'm just glad you are back." (Y/n) calmed herself down, letting go to wipe her eyes. She turned to the others in the room, suddenly aware at who she was standing in front of.

"Sorry, I look like a sobbing mess." She laughed. "I'm (Y/n), it's very nice to meet you all."

"Nonsense, the pleasure is ours." Thor boomed, nearly crushing her in a powerful hug. "You are always welcome here, mother of Danielle."

"Thank you." She beamed, turning to Steve Rogers. "And thank you. Dani told me that you shared stories about Howard and aunt Peggy with her, that you took her to meet her."

"Yes ma'am, I hope that was alright."

"It's more than alright. It's an honor to finally meet you." (Y/n) hugged his neck, kissing his cheek. Everyone took their turn greeting her. She told some embarrassing memories she had with Rhodey and Tony resulting in a pouting War Machine. As the hours passed, (Y/n) felt more at ease with them, Dani noticing her mother relaxing.

"Too bad you didn't bring your photo album to show Dani's old halloween costume." Jonas nudged his fiance. "Or those home movies."

"Mum, don't you da-"

"You mean when she dressed up like-" Dani tried to cover her mom's mouth.

"Mum!"

"Like Captain America?" Everyone laughed, Steve blushed slightly. "I spent weeks sewing it, trying to remember what your uniform looked like in Howard's pictures of you."

"I'm honored." He smiled.

"I swear you always know how to embarrass me." Dani rolled her eyes.

"I'm your mom, it's my job." (Y/n) poked her daughters nose. "Besides, you looked so cute running around London with your saucepan lid shield. My little British Captain America." Jonas was dying.

"Too cute!" Rhodey wheezed. The elevator door opened, no one noticing.

"She wore that costume every where for weeks." (Y/n) winked at her. Dani was glad that she was out of her shell and happy around her new found family. Something caught her eye, rather someone standing by the elevator did. Her heart stopped, worried that her mom would see him. What could she do? "She didn't have your blond hair though, Steve. She's always looked too much like-"

"Me."