Chapter Thirteen

"Hello?"

"Hey Danielle it's (Y/n)." Her hands trembled as she held the payphone to her ear.

"Oh hello. What's wrong, love?"

"Can you come get me?" (Y/n) sniffled into the receiver. She pulled her jacket tighter with her empty hand.

"Where are you? You know I'm in Lo-"

"I'm at Heathrow."

"Jesus, (Y/n)! What are you doing there?"

"I'll explain but please just come get me first. I'm outside by the main entrance by a bus stop."

"I'm on my way, love." The line went dead. (Y/n) hung the phone back on the hook and rolled her suitcase to a nearby bench. It was a freezing London day but the cold didn't seem to damper the throngs of people bustling about the streets. No one seemed to pay much attention to her as she waited for her friend, not so much as a warm smile cast her way. A half-hour crept by when she heard her named called.

"(Y/n)!" A young woman about her age, dark skinned and bundled in a heavy winter coat, waved at her a few yards away. (Y/n) met her halfway and the two embraced. She erupted into tears, sobbing into her friends scarf. "Come on, let's get you a cuppa and a nice blanket, alright?" (Y/n) nodded, wiping her face the best she could. Danielle led her to her little flat and boiled the kettle and gave her the fluffiest blanket she owned.

"I'm sorry to just show up out of nowhere, Danielle." The (h/c) haired woman said quietly.

"It's no trouble at all, love. Here you are." The warmth from the cup was a welcome one, chasing the cold from her bones. "Now take your time and tell me everything." Danielle sat next to her best friend and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. (Y/n) regaled her tale, about Tony losing his parents, about the sudden relationship they found themselves in, and the moment two days ago when Tony had all but banished her and their unborn child from his life. She was sobbing again, Danielle set the tea on the table and pulled her in close. She comforted her like a mother would a distraught child, rubbing her hair and back, gently shushing and uttering kind words.

"So I packed and went to the only place I could think of, to you." (Y/n) pulled away, reaching for her now lukewarm tea.

"You are welcome to stay here with me for as long as you need. London is a wonderful place and might be the fresh start you need."

Two women walked through the airport, talking lively about their lives since they had last seen each other. They retrieved their luggage and made their way outside and hailed a cab.

"I can't promise I won't punch him." Danielle sighed to her long time friend.

"I understand. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't when I saw him again. I did slap him a few months ago though." (Y/n) laughed.

"You know, it's been years since I've been in the States. Hopefully Stephen doesn't destroy the Kamar-Taj in my absence." Danielle looked out the window at the tall buildings all lit up in the night. "Though I suppose being the new Sorcerer Supreme he will take care not to."

"Are you and him...you know?" The darker skinned woman snorted and lightly hit her friend.

"Hell no. I do however have a wonderful relationship with a local woman. You would love her, (Y/n)." The cab pulled to the curb outside of the tower and let them out. (Y/n) paid the driver and grabbed her bags, handing Daniell hers. "What about you?"

"Well, no, I suppose I've just been so caught up in the wedding and the back and forth travelling that I haven't really concerned myself with it." (Y/n) shrugged.

"Don't you dare go thinking about Stark." Danielle warned lowly. "You are not obligated to get back with him just because he said sorry for something unapologizable. Dani has her father and she had her mother, that doesn't mean they have to be together."

"You know it isn't that simple." The (h/c) woman held the door open for Danielle. "I've always loved him and I always will. But you're right, I'm not obligated." She wished to drop the subject but she knew this wasn't the last she'd hear of it.

"So what are we going to eat for dinner?"

"I think Dani and Jonas are making us something." She showed her the way to the elevator and which floor they were going to. The elevator opened and they stepped out, setting down their suitcases.

"Aunt Danielle!" Danielle grounded herself to avoid toppling over due to her goddaughter's sudden appearance..

"Hey there kid." She hugged Dani tight.

"I'm here too, you know. I did birth you." (Y/n) laughed lightheartedly. Jonas was just behind his fiance and slung an arm around her shoulder and pecked her cheek.

"I'm glad you're back, mom." He grinned.

"Bah, who needs them. I want some of whatever you guys were cooking." He led her to the dining room and sat her down, returning to the kitchen to finish up the food. Tony smiled over his shoulder at (Y/n), waltzing over to set out some wine glasses. "Glad he didn't have you ruining the food." She teased. She could tell he was nervous about a reunion with Danielle and she could understand why.

"I might fill my glass with something other than wine to numb my body before she beats me."

"I'm not going to beat you." Danielle appeared out of nowhere and sat beside (Y/n). Tony jumped, nearly dropping the glass in his hand. "I promised (Y/n) I wouldn't."