Chapter Four

She took a deep breath as she looked up at the skyscraper. Her phone buzzed in her pocket.

'You'll do fine, I love you' Jonas was waiting at the hotel for her, rooting her on from the sidelines.

'Thanks babe <3' Dani sent back to her fiance. She pocketed her phone and gave the building one last glance before going inside, clutching the envelope in her hand for courage. The lobby was very busy, full of staff and fans alike. She started to worry that this was a lost cause. The woman at the front desk offered a small smile as Dani walked up.

"Hi there darlin', how can I help you?" The blonde receptionist seemed kind enough.

"I need to speak with Tony Stark, please. It's a personal matter."

"Sorry to say but Mr. Stark isn't seeing anyone today. Could I write something down for you?"

"No ma'am, sorry to bother you." Dani walked away disheartened, glancing around the room for any sort of way to see her father. Everyone was caught up in their own worlds, some woman was being dragged away by security, a business man was arguing over the phone with someone, Bruce Banner was sneaking by everyone, some gir-Wait! Dani pushed through the crowd to catch up with the incognito Avenger. He was headed for the stairs and she had to stop him. She didn't want to draw attention to him given that he was trying to remain invisible to the throngs of people in the room, so she ran to him and touched his sleeve. "Excuse me, Doctor." She whispered so only he could hear.

"Damn." He mumbled at the sound of a British voice calling him out, turning to face her. "I'm trying not to get mobbed today, so if you could ju-"

"I understand that, I do, I promise not to say anything aloud but I really need your help." Banner sighed, pulling her up the stairs and around to a secluded corner.

"You need my help? So does a thousand other people."

"I just need to speak with Tony Stark, it is a really important personal matter." Dani pleaded with the man.

"Scorned lovers and those interested in interning need to see the receptionist." Bruce looked over the woman in front of him, surprised when she laughed.

"I assure you I am neither, I'm a nursing student and happily engaged." He raised an eyebrow at her, noticing her eyes. "I can't really tell you why I need to see him but you can be sure that I have no ill-intent." Her eyes were familiar but he couldn't place them, and held a hopeful desperation. He noticed the ivory envelope in her hand and sighed.

"Come on then." He called down the private elevator and ushered her inside. He typed in some sort of code and the machine rose. "What's your name?"

"Dani (L/n)." Bruce knew he had heard that last name before. "Thank you, by the way. My fiance is a huge fan of your scientific work." She smiled brightly at him, pulling her dark hair into a ponytail. The doors opened to the penthouse and Bruce stepped out, glancing around the room for his friend. Dani froze, heart racing and head spinning with nerves. Every negative outcome was bouncing around her brain.

"Are you okay? You look pale." Bruce looked back at the brunette still in the elevator. She shook away her worries and tried to put on a brave face.

"I'm fine." He led her to a couch and told her that he'd go get Tony. She gladly sat, staring down at the envelope and trying to gather herself. Minutes felt like hours as she waited for them to return.

"So you let her up here?"

"She said it was an important personal matter, I thought it sounded urgent." Her breath hitched when she heard them coming up the stairs. She stood, turning around. Brown eyes met brown and Tony offered his hand.

"Mr. Stark, thank you for seeing me, I know it is very unexpected."

"Around here, I'm used to it. What's your name, sweetheart?" Hearing her father call her that made her heart flutter. Her mom always called her 'sweetheart'.

"Dani. Uhm, well that's what mum always called me. I guess you wanted my full name..."

"Calm down, it's okay." Tony smiled, gesturing for her to sit, taking a seat across from her.

"Right." Dani took a deep breathe. "My name is Maria Danielle (Y/n)."