Chapter 1 - The Start of Everything

"Hello, miss! What brings you in today?"

Matt greeted the customer with enthusiasm as she walked up to the counter. His brown eyes gleamed brightly and his lips curved into an welcoming smile as the woman ordered her take-away coffee. Having received her order, he nodded at her and went to make her drinks, straightening his blond hair in the process.

It was a fine Saturday afternoon indeed, as the sunlight shone through every street and road with its warm, golden color. Matt could feel the cool breeze of August passing by after each time the door opened, making the atmosphere even more relaxing and calming than it already was, as well as the rustling of the leaves outside. Handing the woman her drinks, he could hear the voices of the people sitting in the shop, filling it with happy chatters.

Grandhaven Coffee, like most of the time, wasn't too crowded today, but it wasn't exactly empty either. Matt could see that there were a lot of students who were either studying alone or with their friends, with a laptop or some books on the table. The combination of the simple but homely sight in front of him and the nice weather outside always made him feel all cozy on the inside.

To think about it, he had been seeing this sight for a year now, ever since he first got into college last September. At that time, he was still a young freshman, eyes wide in amaze and unfamiliarity as he stood in front of the gate of Winterford University, the college he had studied extremely hard to get into. He honestly had a reason to be proud of himself, because Chemistry wasn't an easy subject to be good at, let alone getting into college with that major.

He had become more independent ever since he started living away from his hometown Lakewood and managed to get a job as a barista at a coffee shop near his university. His parents said that they would always help with financial problems whenever he needed, but he really didn't want to bother his parents, so he tried his best to spend his money wisely. He was nineteen anyway, so he felt like he needed to be responsible just like an adult should be.

The door swung open again, signaling the arrival of another customer, so he turned to their direction and smiled, getting ready to greet them like he always did.

"Hello—"

However, what the barista wasn't expecting was a customer whose appearance was so stunning that just his sight alone was able to cut him off. In fact, time seemed to have stopped as Matt just stood there, admiring the handsome young man that had just walked in. He watched how that man's delicate hand gently closed the door behind him, how he fixed the unbuttoned collar of his white shirt, as well as the reddish brown sweater that was worn over it. Matt made sure to take in every little thing, even to the way his black blazer lightly fluttered with the breeze and the small steps that he took forwards in his black polished shoes. Everything about him was stylish, fashionable and magnificent.

Matt got so lost in the man's handsomeness that he almost forgot how to maintain his posture when he arrived at the counter.

"H-Hello, sir! W-What can I get for you today?" He knew he wasn't supposed to stutter, but he was glad that he still remembered how to speak like a normal human being with such a good-looking man right in front of him.

When the man had arrived at the counter, Matt had a better view of his features, which made Matt more aware of how attractive this man was. Using one hand, he fixed his smooth light brown hair which was brushed neatly, his bang being parted at the left side of his head. His jawline was perfect, as well as his straight-edge nose with tall bridge.

The young man smiled, and it almost killed Matt in the most brutal yet happiest way. It was one of the brightest smiles he had ever seen, brighter than any stars or even the sun itself.

"Hello. I'd like one regular vanilla latte for here, please," he said. "I'd like it lukewarm."

Matt had to use all the nerves in his brain to focus only on the paper, the pen and the customer's words, or else all he could do was to stare at his customer. My god, those eyes, he thought. Those eyes, they were the deepest, most winsome and stunning blue eyes ever. They were so sharp and hypnotizing that they could cause distractions, just like how they were affecting Matt right at this moment.

If he hadn't been trying his hardest, his writing would have come out as an illegible mess with how his hands were trembling. The man's voice wasn't helping when it sounded so warm and soothing, but also so beautifully deep and mysterious.

"O-Of course! Your drink will be ready in a minute."

As he went to get the cup and the ingredients, he took a deep breath, trying to calm his body down, because he obviously couldn't make coffee when his body was shaking more intensely than an earthquake. After making the coffee, he began to pour milk into the cup to make a pretty leaf design for the latte, sneakily looked at his customer beforehand. How was anyone supposed to work properly with him standing there, looking so pretty that it was distracting?

Putting the cup onto a matching small plate, he secretly let out a small sigh, being utterly thankful that he was able to make a latte without spilling it and messing everything up. The moment the customer picked it up, Matt was able to sneak a look at his hand, that flawless hand. It was even better when he paid for the drink, their hands indirectly touching through the dollar bills.

"Thank you for the drink."

God, please don't smile anymore, or else I'll be fired for not getting my work done, and you know I need that money, Matt thought as he replied, "I'm glad to be of service. Enjoy your latte!"

As he walked away, Matt exhaled heavily, being proud of himself that he had managed to survive. How could someone be so charming and such a gentleman at the same time? And how could anyone do their job with him standing there, looking like a damn supermodel?

The man chose a seat near the counter which was in Matt's line of sight, and Matt was confused about whether or not it was a good thing.

As the brunet started reading the book he brought along with him ever since he entered the shop, Matt raised an eyebrow and started thinking to himself. Matt had been working here for a year now, and yet this was the first time he had seen this man. He couldn't be a newcomer of the shop, because he didn't need to ask Matt for recommendations, and he knew exactly what to tell Matt about what kind of flavors he wanted and how hot the drinks should be.

Oh yeah, he forgot the menu that was literally on the counter.

However, supposing that he wasn't new, how come Matt hadn't seen him before? With how unique he looked, Matt could have noticed him right from the start! Maybe he came here regularly but only on days when Matt didn't have any shift?

Matt was still trying to think of a logical explanation when he saw the man in question moving his hand up to his bangs, and the barista found himself yelling "don't" non-stop in his head. Because Matt knew exactly what he was going to do, as well as how much it could affect him.

He saw the man tucked a part of his bangs behind his ear.

And Matt officially perished.