Chapter 7 - Untold Words

"Organic and biological chemists use an abbreviated drawing convention called line structures. It's quite simple and helps..."

Lightly fiddling with his fingers, Matt tried his hardest to focus on the actual lesson rather than his professor's voice.

Time went by quickly, and it had already been a month ever since the second semester started. Up until now, it was still... quite a sight for Matt to watch Professor Angevine teach, to be honest. This felt very different from what he saw at the coffee shop, where his professor just looked like a very relaxed young man with a handsome face, a man who also happened to love latte a lot.

But in class, he didn't look exactly the same. Of course, he was still that man with a collected attitude, but his posture and his way of speaking seemed more professional, which was something Matt hadn't seen of him but wasn't something unexpected either. In fact, Matt was fascinated by this little change. The way his hand held the book while the other moved the laser pointer to make his students pay attention to a certain thing on the projector... Everything he did was so gentle yet so confident at the same time. Not only that, his voice was also calm, so calm that Matt just couldn't stop listening to it.

With his pen in hand, Matt took notes while still listening attentively, just like usual. In high school, his friends teased him with the sarcastic title "goody two shoes" because most of the time, he was seen focusing on the lessons while his classmates were literally dozing off due to the teacher's boring lecture.

To be completely honest, Matt wasn't usually interested in the lectures either, unless it was a good one. But he needed to listen carefully to it regardless, just so he could understand the lesson and do his homework well. However, right now, it was a completely different case. Matt just loved Professor Angevine's lecture, though he didn't know if it was because of his professor's way of teaching or the fact that he had a crush on the man in question.

One hour passed by quickly without Matt's knowledge. The bell soon rang, making him jump a little. With that same calm voice, his professor dismissed the class and everyone started leaving one by one. Well, everyone except some girls who were going to the podium, seemingly in order to ask their professor some questions about today's lesson. But Matt was sure the lesson wasn't really the main reason, which emitted a sigh from him. Matt just couldn't understand how some people just had the confidence to strike up a conversation with someone they were romantically interested in. He, on the other hand, could never do it without preparing himself mentally first, which made him admire those confident people greatly.

The way they were talking happily with their professor did make him feel jealous a little, he hated to admit. Throughout the week, he had seen girls coming up to Professor Angevine every time class ended, and he swore that some same faces kept appearing. He envied them that they could just talk to him without any worries written all over their face, unlike him.

He really wanted to have conversations with Professor Angevine, but he was always afraid that he wouldn't have anything to say, which would just lead to awkward silence nobody wished to create. Therefore, he just ended up abandoning the idea most of the time.

Today, however, thing were a little different. Even though he had tried to listen to the lecture, there were some parts that were still a little confusing to him, and he feared that they would be necessary materials for the future exams. But with people surrounding Professor Angevine like that, he felt like he wouldn't have enough time to be able to talk to his professor before the next bell rang. Moreover, he would probably make his professor more tired than he already was after answering those students' questions.