Chapter 27 - The Talk You Never Expected

Four years ago, Matt had looked at his older brother in amazement as the latter stepped onto the stage confidently. The way his brother took the diploma into his hands in a respectful manner, as well as his ecstatic smile when he hugged his family after the ceremony, Matt could still remember clearly.

Surrounded by graduates, Matt's eighteen-year-old self had already looked forward to the day he could finally put on the graduation gown, the outfit that he always thought was cool. It excited him even more when he saw the diploma his brother was holding. As he stared at it, he imagined it being in his possession, thinking about the moment he had a chance to hold it in his hands proudly as a graduate. Even though he knew that day was still four years away, he still couldn't help feeling thrilled about it.

As they always said, time flew, and the day he had been waiting for had arrived at last. After the ceremony had ended, Matt could still feel his heart beating fast due to the excitement and nervousness. If he hadn't tried his best, his hands would have shaken madly when the diploma was given to him.

However, he would be lying if he said he wasn't happy. In fact, he was absolutely overwhelmed with cheery emotions. He did it. He got the diploma he had worked so hard for, an achievement he would forever be proud of. The past four years had been a long journey, and even if there were ups and downs, he would always remember them as something memorable. This day was even more unforgettable, because he had his family here to add more happiness to his graduation day.

"I'm so proud of my baby!" his mom said as she pulled him in for an embrace. "It seems just like yesterday that you were still little. But here you are, graduating from college!"

"Thanks so much, Mom, but…" Matt trailed off before continuing. "Are you seriously still calling me a baby?"

"Oh, Matt, you may be an adult, but you'll always be a little boy in my eyes." His mom tightened the hug. "Gosh, how long has it been since I last held you as a baby?"

"Well, Mrs. Parker…" Chloe spoke while trying her best to hold her laughter in. "Besides you, there's someone else who also calls him 'baby'."

His mom had a rather confused look on her face, seemingly too oblivious to understand what Chloe was implying. Unlike her, his brother had on a wide smirk as he giggled along with Matt's suitemates. However, he decided to save his little brother and changed the subject, which Matt was extremely grateful of him for.

"It's actually been a while since I last saw you. You've sure grown into a fine young man." Matt's brother patted his shoulder. It it hadn't been for Matt's cap, he would have rubbed his head instead, like he usually did. "But you're still shorter than me."

"Bryan…" Matt said in a low voice as he tried to smile, though his smile seemed a little forced, bitter even. "Can you please not bring up my pain, at least not today?"

"I'm sorry." Bryan laughed while Matt pouted. "But it's still too fun to tease you no matter how old you are."

"You're impossible." Matt sighed. "I'm standing here as an adult, holding my diploma on my graduation day, and you still have the tendency to make fun of my height."

Everyone's laughter was heard except for Matt's, and the blond in question groaned into his hand, forcing himself to accept the fact that his fate had already been decided—his height would forever be the bane of his existence. But then, from the corner of his eye, he saw someone that had him stunned, causing him to ignore the others' teasing.

Among the crowd was none other than Ray himself, but there was something about him today that elicited a gasp from Matt. Dazzling he was in his black suit and regalia, and on his face was a bright smile as he talked cheerfully with others. His blue eyes gleamed under the warm sunshine, filled with the happiness of seeing his dear students in their graduation gown. Matt was in a daze, awestruck by the other man's charm, so he didn't notice those beautiful eyes glancing over him. Only when Ray's voice was heard did Matt snap out of his daydream.