Chapter 28 - The Comfort He Needed

"Ever since that incident, Matt's been pretty insecure about his trust for others."

That very thought had been lingering in Ray's mind ever since Matt's graduation day, which was two weeks ago. He had a very thoughtful expression as he silently looked at Matt, who was happily talking to someone on the phone.

Mr. Parker's words had truly changed the way Ray viewed Matt's smile. That cheerfulness on his face and that gleam in those brown eyes, was there really pain hidden behind them? What hurt him so much that he lost trust in people, afraid to confide in anyone other than his family? The one who always lightened up Ray's days, was he also carrying bitter secrets that he couldn't bring himself to tell others? Those questions had been bothering Ray for a very long while, and the longer he left them unsolved, the more they seemed to pique his curiosity.

But the real problem here was how he could get Matt to talk about this naturally. He had yet to tell Matt that his father knew he was more than Matt's professor, and even if he had, this wasn't something he could just bring up out of the blue. From the look of it, it sounded quite serious. In fact, it might be so serious that his boyfriend didn't dare to recall it.

"You'll have to ask him yourself. But I'll tell you this—this incident was what made him come out to his family."

By saying that, was Mr. Parker dropping a hint about how to mention it without making him look suspicious? Regardless of whether or not it was on purpose, he had indeed helped Ray figure out how to do it. Taking a deep breath, he sat down at the edge of the bed next to Matt, who had just ended the call.

"Oh, Ray, you're done with your work already?" Matt turned over to him. "That was quick."

"Well..." Ray trailed off before wrapping his arm around the other's shoulders, pulling him close to him. "There's not much work today and I can't wait to join you on the bed anyway."

"Then you must've been waiting because of my long call. I'm sorry." Matt chuckled, not minding one bit that his head was resting on Ray's shoulder. "My mom's been telling me over and over again to introduce you to the family soon."

The comfy snuggling had almost made Ray forget the important objective for tonight. He pretended to laugh nervously, since he was sure Mr. Parker hadn't disclosed the news yet. "H-Have you told her you're actually dating your professor?"

"No, not yet." Matt chuckled. "I plan to make this a big surprise. Gosh, I'm laughing just by imagining the look on my parents' face when you show up as my boyfriend."

Ray stayed quiet for a moment to think carefully about his next move. "That aside, your family do support you a lot, don't they?"

"Huh?" Matt asked with his eyebrow raised.

"They have no problem with your sexuality and fully support you to the end."

Ray took a few more seconds to try to calm his racing heart down, mentally prepapring himself for the moment that would surely bring a drastic change to the cozy atmosphere in the room.

"Say, this makes me wonder how you came out."

On Ray's face was an innocently curious look, but what was actually in his mind was guilt and worries. As expected, Matt was silent, his eyes glancing away and a thoughtful expression visible on his face. In fact, there was a clear hint of fear in those brown eyes that always shone so beautifully. There was no doubt that Ray felt bad for bringing this up now.