Chapter 1 Joke

To say that I'm lucky would be an  understatement. 

And privileged is a bit of a stretch.

I turned 18 today which to a lot of kids meant freedom , adulthood , responsibility. But to me it meant I was finally allowed to know the name of my fiancé. 

Yes, you heard right; fiancé.

It was this silly " arranged at birth " type of thing I was forced into . I've been hearing all about it basically since the day I came into this world and my parents wouldn't shut up about it until well , today. When I was finally going to find out who was on the other end of this ordeal.

My friends all thought I was lucky to know the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with. That it was "easy ". But was it really? 

Having no say about this what so ever ?

Not marrying for love ?

Never even being allowed to date or talk to another guy because I was being "saved for my husband " ?  Cause that's just messed up !

So tell me , how on earth do I seem lucky to you ?

Simple , I don't.

And I'm not.

But this is the world we live in Olivia my dad would say.

It's nothing new for marriages to be prearranged sweetie My mom would add.

But how would they know ? They are the ones who had it easy. The ones who actually experienced true love , who had their first kiss under the bleachers or behind the school cafeteria like any normal kid. 

Where I had to remain the class joke because I hadn't spoken , looked , and not to even mention touched another guy besides my dad. It was a joke.

I was a joke.

My whole life's been a joke !

But atleast today I could get some answers. The answers I've been so desperately seeking since birth.

Why , how and WHO the hell was  behind all of this.

Straightening down my red dress , I take a last look in the mirror - seeing my brown hair fall delicately down my shoulders , emphasizing my pale white skin - as I made my way down stairs , one last time as an oblivious,  ignorant little girl.

"You ready baby girl? " mom said , wringing her hands together nervously.

"Yup. Let's get this freak show on the road." I said with slight irritation as my dad cleared his throat behind me , indicating his distaste to my tone at my mother.

I mumbled a quiet "sorry" as my dad nod his head towards me in a warning matter.

But today of all days , I didn't seem to care. Today I was walking the walk of shame all thanks to them.

So why would I even care at this point ?

"Get in the car Olivia. " my dad said annoyed at my still hostile body language while I just sighed and obliged. He was still my dad after all, even if I was now considered 'a legal adult '.

"It's going to be fine honey. You're going to be fine. " mom said trying to convince me that this wasn't the end of the world , though I think she was feeling more guilty for putting me in this position in the first place and was trying to convince herself that they've made the right decision.

"Cool " I said sarcastically,  putting my headphones over my head , blaring Taylor swift's You need to calm down as loud as I could in my ears , trying to ignore my dad's disapproving stare from the rear view mirror.

And not a moment too soon , we stood infront of the court house.  I looked over at my mother taking a deep breath as my dad started walking , taking the lead confidently as my mom and I just followed.

My mom tried to hold my hand to comfort me or whatever , but we both knew the moment we stepped into that building that there was no going back.

"Fix the hair sticking up and remember to sit up straight . Confidence is key -"

"- is key to a successful first impression. Yeah mom , I know. " I repeated the phrase - that was drilled into me since birth - back to my mother while she continued to fix my hair.

"Lipstick check. " she said as I opened my mouth , showing her my freshly brushed teeth - while she continued to search for any red substance .

We were then lead into a conference room with our lawyer -  waiting on the other parties to arrive - while he went through everything with my dad again.

A knock sounding from the door snapped all of our attention to it , making me slightly more nervous now that I was about to find the answer I've been looking for.

I don't know why but I found myself standing up -as my parents followed my lead - while the door opened revealing a sparkling couple , probably in their mid thirties and a boy - probably not much older than me - in a suit following behind them.

"Mr and Mrs Walker. Ethan." My dad said acknowledgingly , shaking Mr Walker's hand while mom exchanged with Mrs Walker.

Ethan and I just awkwardly made eye contact and looked away immediately.

I had no idea what I was going to do now.

For so long my life's been all about this moment , finding out who was behind all of this. But I never thought what I would do when I actually stood face - to - face with the guilty party.

"Shall we begin ?" Ross - our lawyer - said while we all nod and took a seat across from eachother.

"As you all know a contract was drawn up stating that if Mr Walker gave Mr Davis 25% of his shares in Walker corp. His daughter - Olivia Marie Davis - would be to wed their son - Ethan John Walker - as to keep the shares in the family. " Ross stated as the grown ups all nod in agreement to their terms while I looked over at Ethan, taking in this new information.

So that's what this was all about?

I was a business transaction? 

All of this over shares !?

You've got to be kidding me !?

My mom's hand waving infront of my face , breaks me from my internal battle as I acknowledge all the eyes that were staring expectantly at me.

"I'm sorry what ?" I said confused as Ross just sighed. 

"I said , you have to sign on the dotted line Olivia to confirm that you understand the terms and conditions as being read to you . "

But what if I didn't? 

What if I zoned out ?

But I couldn't say anything or let him repeat it. It would embarrass my father infront of his business partners . And I couldn't be an embarrassment to the family.

"Sure." I said , shakily and slowly lowering the pen to the dotted line while I reminded myself that I could do this.

You can do this

You can do this

You can do t-

The door barged open , making us all snap our heads towards the rude interruption. 

"Sorry I'm late ." A tall guy - definitely older than Ethan and I but younger than our parents - said as he fixed his tie , taking a seat between us and the Walkers.

"Young man , this is a closed meeting. Who are you ?" Ross stated hostile as the stranger stood up again , brushing his pants.

"I'm so sorry. I'm Jacob. Jacob Smith. " he said as I swore my dad's face went pale and my mother almost fainted.

It's not perfect. But it's not horrible either.  This story is off to a rough start but I promise I'll improve it when I edit it again. But I hope you enjoyed it anyway. Remember to leave a comment and thoughts down below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves ❤🐺

//Updates every Thursday //