chapter five

I could hear the band performing through the walls of the small waiting room we and the third band were currently sitting. They were pretty good, and that scared the shit out of me. We only had been able to practice for an hour or so at the hotel last night before collapsing from exhaustion, and when we showed up here at the audition at seven. We honestly brought up to this room with no explanation, just a quick 'good luck' from the secretary of the building and the door was shut. Our equipment had been brought over by the management earlier this morning, so all we could do was sit in this room and wait. It was small, and when we arrived it could barely hold all three bands. It was like a small conference room, and it had a table in the center surrounded by a dozen or so chairs. The other two bands, The Vamps and a band I didn't know called flight, had already beaten us here. Flight was performing now, and The Vamps were next. I was too intimidated to look over at them, I knew they were already pretty big and to me they would be the obvious choice. I glanced at my band, to check up on them. West was sprawled out over two chairs, playing some game on his phone. The kid didn't get nervous, and at the moment I was super jealous. Claire was left of him and right of me, checking her calender and setting up stuff for the band I assumed. Jamie was on my left, slunched over with his elbows on the table and not doing much of anything.

I gathered the courage to look up at The Vamps and upon doing so awkwardly made eye contact with the lead singer, who looked a bit like a baby Harry Styles. He smiled, and I felt myself blush awkwardly.

"Hey," he greeted me, still grinning. I have to admit, he's pretty cute.

"H-hi," I managed to squeak, giving a little wave. I mentally cursed myself for being so damn awkward.

"Hey, don't stress this audition too much," he reassured me, leaning over the table as if to get closer to me. He was sitting across from me, the rest of his band on his right and left. "I hear you guys are already the favorite."

"Yeah, alright," Jamie grumbled from next to me. I shot him a look, and he rolled his eyes, pulling out his phone and preoccupying himself with it.

"Excuse him, he's an ass," I apologized.

"It's alright," the very adorable boy assured me, grinning. God, his accent was wonderful. "I'm sure you're all nervous."

"Just a bit," I laughed, and wiped some hair out of my face. "So how do you know we're the favorite? I mean, if we even are."

"Well for one, the lead singer is totally cute," he said, looking down bashfully. I heard Jamie groan next to me. I kicked him under the table.

"How do you even know who the lead singer is?" Claire asked, looking up from her phone.

"We may or may not have made time to check you guys out," one of the bandmates, the drummer I think, chimed in, nudging knockoff Harry Styles. "Brad here totally has a crush on you," he informed us, motioning to me. I started internally screaming.

"I-I'm just really, um..." Brad, I guess his name was, stuttered, as the rest of his band laughed. "I admire your style," he finally managed to get out. Claire and I giggled, as the boys just seemed to be ignoring the whole conversation.

"Anyway, I'm Tristan," the drummer introduced himself. "And these idiots are James and Connor," he motioned to the other two members.

"I'm Jess," I introduced myself, "and this is Claire, West and Jamie." I pointed to everyone as I said their name. Jamie waved, not even looking up from his phone. West smiled, and put his phone back into his pocket.

The door leading to the audition room opened, and in walked Flight. A person from management followed, a very serious looking woman, and motioned to The Vamps telling them it was their turn.