Part Twelve: Sweater

Albus stood rigid in front of his brother, James. He asked, "What?" as if he didn't hear James correctly.

James let himself into Albus' room and sat down in his desk chair while Albus shut his door. "I know you heard me, Albus."

James picked up the bag his brother had started packing and asked, "What's this for?"

"Scorpius told me that I could go over to Malfoy Manor for a few days."

"Will Dad let you?"

Albus shrugged but answered, "If he doesn't let me go willingly, I'm gonna hitchhike."

"I don't know if you're an idiot or if you like to be in trouble."

Albus smirked. "The word 'trouble' is an understatement."

James smiled and picked his brother in the shoulder, making him wince a little out of brotherly love. Albus laughed and James stood to leave. Albus thought of telling him about the photo album that Scorpius gifted to him, but decided against it.

James opened the door and turned his head back to face his younger brother. "Al?"

"Jamie?" Albus said, crossing his arms. He didn't mind when James called him by his pet name, and James didn't mind when Albus called him by his pet name.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Albus nodded, though he knew that he was lying to his brother. Albus couldn't count how many secrets he kept from James, one of the most understanding people that Albus knew...aside from Scorpius.

"Yeah, I know."

James smiled, oblivious to the fact Albus was lying in his face. "Good. And I won't tell Dad."

Albus smiled and waved James out. The moment he was alone, he let out an exhausted sigh.

  **********************

The next morning, after Harry left for the Ministry, Albus went downstairs and saw his mother, Ginny, making breakfast.

"Good morning, Albus."

"Morning, Mum, " Albus responded. He bit his lower lip and rubbed his hands together nervously. Should he tell her and possibly get no for an answer? If he told her, would she wait for his father to get home and tell him? What if Harry yelled at Albus?

"What do you need to ask?" Ginny asked, watching her son do his nervous habits for some time.

"Well, " Albus began. "Scorpius invited me to stay a few nights with him at Malfoy Manor -- to, uh, complete a project that we're working on."

Ginny thought for a moment then asked, "Where again?"

Albus swallowed and answered, "Malfoy Manor..."

"You're father hates that place,"

Albus dropped his hands and his head in defeat. "I know."

"But, " Ginny added. "I say yes. Scorpius seems like a nice boy and Draco seems to be nicer these days."

Albus hugged his mother, full of happiness. Though he was lying partially to her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mum!"

Ginny patted her son's head affectionately and hugged him back. "No problem, Albus."

Albus detached from Ginny and asked nervously, "What about Dad?"

"What about him?"

"What do I tell him? He hates the Malfoy's, he always told us horror stories about what happened there during the War, and he---"

"Leave it to me, okay?"

Albus nodded and answered, "Okay."

When Harry did come back from the Ministry that night, Albus was looking at the photo album in his room, smiling from memories of him and Scorpius. A knock on his door startled him and he hid the album in its new spot between the wall and his bed.

"Come in, " he called, pulling a book from his nightstand, opening it to a random page.

Harry walked in and shut the door behind him. Albus' heart stopped and his throat suddenly got unbearably dry. "Yes, Dad?"

Harry sat down at the foot of his son's bed and clasped his hands together silently.

"Dad?"

"Albus, " Harry said. "What did you ask your mother?"

Albus answered, "If I were allowed to go to Malfoy Manor for a few days to work on a project with Scorpius."

"Why a few days?" Harry asked suspiciously.

"It's a really important Care of Magical Creature project, " Albus lied flawlessly. "Scorpius said that he has a lot of good books to do the project and he honestly isn't good at Care of Magical Creatures. I told him that if I were allowed to go, I would help him while also getting my project done with the help of his books."

Harry thought for a moment, trying to detect his son's lie. Albus did get an O in Care of Magical Creatures last year.

"How many days?"

"Three days and four nights."

Harry pushed his glasses up his nose and answered, "You may go."

"Thank you, "

Harry stood up and left Albus, shutting the door as he left. Albus exhaled and chuckled. How was he so good at lying? Was this a superpower? Albus stood and wrote a small letter to Scorpius.

Scorpius,
I told my parents that we're going to work on a Care of Magical Creatures project. I said that I was going to help you because you have all the right books for whatever this make-believe project is. Maybe it'll be about hippogriffs? I'll see you tomorrow.
-Albus-

A/N
Sorry for the super short chapter! Here's a question for you guys:
Do you think that Albus will succeed in lying to his parents throughout the story?