side effects • stray kids

• • ♡ • •

• • • •

word count: 2.1k

genre: anarchy au, angst

note: yall the side effects mv slaps sO HARD. like they went off. stream yellow wood. anyways...i was inspired to write this after watching the mv so here you go :)

—————

Hyunjin shoved his hands into his jacket pockets, his earbuds jammed into his ears as he continued the walk to the hideout. It was nearly nightfall and the guards would be coming out soon. But Hyunjin had done this too many times.

He knew the shortcuts and knew how to dodge the guards. He put his hood up as a light rainfall started and continued walking. Hyunjin turned down an alley and rushed down the stairs. As he approached the headout, he brought his hand out of his pocket and knocked four times.

The hideout was nothing fancy. After all, it was an abandoned building. It was hidden in the undergrounds of the city. The building was small and overlooked by the government since it was practically falling apart.

The door opened. "You're late. Chan was wondering if you were coming at all," Felix said and Hyunjin rolled his eyes as he took his earbuds out. Felix moved aside and Hyunjin walked in. After Felix shut the door and made sure it was secure, the two boys headed to the meeting room.

"Ah, Hyunjin. I didn't know if you were gonna make it or not," Chan said as the two entered the room. Hyunjin ignored him and made himself comfortable on the couch. "I called you all here tonight because I think it's time we have a talk about what's going on."

"The abuse that I've seen on the streets lately is sickening," Chan continued. "Not to mention the discrimination and oppression that the government has against destitution."

"The guards have doubled, too," Changbin spoke up. "They're more strict and the punishments have become more barbarous. They're killing families just because of their financial status."

"It's wrong," Chan said. "All of it."

"So what do you suggest we do?" Hyunjin remarked crossing his arms over his chest. "There isn't much we can really do about this. It's been going on for years...it's just gotten worse."

Chan didn't say anything for a while. His eyes moved around the room, looking at the eight other boys in the room. He was debating on whether or not to say what he was thinking. It was risky...dangerous even.

"I say we leave the city," he said finally. The boys all looked at him like he was crazy. "I know how it sounds, trust me. But I think this is what's best for us. I know a way out. There's a tunnel and..."

"Are you crazy?" Hyunjin said. "Have you completely lost it? If we get caught, who knows what will happen to us. We could be killed right on the spot. Or does that matter? Chan..I don't know about this."