Chapter 1- Aquaintences

Will Herondale stood idly in his room, feeling alone. Everyone he knew was busy, and had important things to do, but he had nothing. Jem was asleep, the days activities making him more exhausted than usual, and had kindly but firmly pushed him out of his room. 
Walking along the long, dark corridor of the institute, he hesitated outside a big, brown, wooden door with it's large brass door knocker waiting to be used.  His mind burned with questions about the girl he had rescued only two weeks ago. The girl herself, named Tessa Gray, was friendly enough, talking politely to everyone around her, but no-one but Gabriel Lightwood had seemed to be able to get close to her. Tessa and Jem seemed also to have become somewhat acquaintances, much to Jem's girlfriend's dismay, though she never showed it. Sophie had never struck Will as the jealous type, and had never so much batted an eyelash when Jem talked to other girls, so it confused Will. Nevertheless, Tessa Gray was still a mystery, and no-one, not even herself seemed to know why the council wanted her so much, as she seemed to not know anything about the shadow world. 

Will turned away and carried on though the corridor, deciding to head to the library. Just as the entrance to the library came into sight, will heard a small, quiet whisper that made the hairs on his neck stand up. "Will" they said, over and over again. Will looked around, his head pounding, but he saw no-one there. "Will" they whispered. Will heard so many whispers, filling his head. He closed his eyes, and he saw a brief image. A young boy, that looked exactly like him, in a field, surrounded by millions of people, covered in armour. On the floor lay strewn bodies, and pools of blood, the air filled with the smell of the dead, and the screams of the pained.His eyes flew open only to see he was on the floor. Slowly he looked up becoming  vaguely aware of a feminine figure coming towards him. Suddenly, the whispers stopped, and his head became silent. He blinked a couple of times, only to see Tessa gray looking at him with a worried expression written on her dainty little face.

Tessa Gray looked up at the high shelves, full from top to bottom with books, each worn down by readers who enjoyed the stories told by different protagonists. Tessa walked towards an old red-covered book and took it out, her eyes scanning over one of her favourite books wuthering heights. Just as she opened the front page, letting her eyes skim over the ever-so-familiar introduction, she heard a noise outside the library.  She waited for a few seconds, and heard whimpering, and whispering. Slowly, she crept towards the door and opened it slightly, but enough to see a nearly unconscious Will on the floor. She picked up her skirts and ran to him. Once she reached him, she called him name, but he showed no signs of hearing her. She bent down to his level, and seeing that he was unsteady, lightly placed an arm on his elbow. She called his name again, and this time he looked at her, his ice blue eyes staring into hers. He blinked a couple of times, as if to re-focus his mind. "Miss Gray?" He asked, standing up. She quickly removed her arm from his elbow and nodded. 
"Are you ok?" she asked and he nodded slowly, as if his head pounded at the slightest movement. He stood up slowly and walked, leaning on Tessa to the nearest bench and sat down, his head in his hands. Tessa sat down next to him, and waited a few seconds before tentatively asking "Mr Herondale?" 

He looked up, and smiled slightly. "My friends call me Will" 

Tessa looked at him, and smiled. " Am I?" At that he smiled fully, and nodded. Tessa looked at him, just noticing how handsome he was. His dishevelled black hair, his ice blue eyes and his shadowhunter physique.  "Well, Will. What happened?" At that Will looked back to the floor and shook his head. 
"It doesn't matter" He said, his voice curious, but firm.

Silence hung between them, and not one of them attempted to break it. Tessa looked away, the silence eating away at her nerves. Will turned to look at her, mouth open as if to say something, when the head of the institute called him name. His head whipped around, to see Charlotte walking down the corridor. She was small, with her long brown hair, backcombed into a big bun. Though small, she always had a superior aura, though she was never arrogant. Tessa had always looked up to her, and ever since she came here, Charlotte had looked after her, the first time someone had protected her like a daughter since Aunt Harriet had died. 

Will stood up just as Charlotte reached them. She looked at Tessa, and smiled softly. Tessa smiled back. Charlotte's hands unconsciously went to her swollen tummy, and Tessa's heart melted.  She couldn't wait till the little child was born, which was only going to in another couple of weeks. Will spoke first. "What happened?" Charlotte looked at him and answered, her voice sounding tired. 

"We're having a meeting in the dining room. Both of you be there in 10 minutes ok?" Tessa nodded. "And will, get Jem and the rest of them" With a wink at Will, who responded by looking down, she left.  Will looked at her, smiled and left in search of Jem and the others. Tessa smiled to the floor, before leaving to go to her room.

Jem woke up to a coughing fit. He felt his tummy and rib cage spasming out of control. He started gasping, feeling his lungs and air pipe close slowly. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Will run in, his eyes huge with worry. He quickly handed Jem a white handkerchief which Jem held to his mouth. Suddenly, Jem felt his whole body relax, and his coughing fit stopped. He removed the handkerchief, and it came away splattered with dark red blood. Will looked at it, and although he never expressed any verbal comment, Jem saw and felt him tense, the way he always did when this happened. Jem looked at him, and Will quickly asked him "Have you had any?" Jem shook his head and Will went to the small box that Jem kept his drugs in. It was a small silver box, that his Father gave his mother as a wedding gift. The only thing he had from his parents. His mind flashed back to the day he got the silver box. His mum was in tears, his dad clutching her in one hand, and baby Jem in the other. All he heard was his father muttering "wǒ men huì méi shì de"  meaning 'We'll be alright'. He remembered his mum shoving the box into his trouser pocket, just before the guards caught Jem and dragged him by the shoulders to the opposite side of the dark, cold room. Jem shuddered at the memories of the ice cold hand-cuffs around his ankles and wrists. 

 Holding a small glass of water, with the Yin Fen in it, Will handed the glass over to Jem, and visibly relaxed once Jem drank it. Will looked at Jem, and Jem smiled and nodded to say that he was ok. "I'm not dead yet Will" Jem joked, and Will laughed dryly. Jem placed hand on top of Will's cold one. "I'll be fine, Will" Will said nothing, but lightly kissed his hand. They stayed that way for a couple of moment's before Will slowly got up. "Charlotte want's to see all of us so get changed and meet in the dining room" Jem nodded, and watched Will cast one last glace at Jem, before gliding out of the room.