Chapter 13- The Date

Jem was wondering around, when Bridget, the head chef, asked him to find Charlotte to find out if she and Henry wants tea. This task proved harder than it seemed, as Jem had no clue where either was. Jem walked around the while institute, when he walked into the library, and saw his parabatai lying lazily on the floor reading, his black hair a mess. Jem sat down next to him, and Will looked at him. "Don't you have anything better to be doing that lying on the floor like this?" Jem asked, and Will frowned.
"Nothing I want to be doing that's for sure"
They sat there in silence for a while, until Jem suddenly remembered that he had a mission. "Have you seen Henry or Charlotte?" At this Will sat up, lying on his elbows now. Jem realised that he hadn't seen Gabriel or Tessa either, except for at breakfast which had been a good few hours ago. He had seen everyone else, but not them. He had seen Tessa's bedroom door open slightly with no-one in it, and same with Gabriel's.
"I haven't seen Tessa or Gabriel either" Jem thought aloud, and he saw anger flash in Will's eyes, but it was fine so quickly, Jem wondered if he had imagined it.
"No I haven't seen them " Will said, all his attention back on his book. Jem got up and left the library. He sensed that Will was uneasy, though didn't show it, and Jem wondered why.
It took another 10 rooms before Jem finally found them. He tentatively opened the door, and saw Tessa and Gabriel hand in hand, and Charlotte and Henry watching them both intently. Jem went over to them, but before he could speak, Charlotte shushed him, and nodded her head over in the direction of Tessa. Jem watched, as both of them looked at each other, communicating though their eyes, before closing them. Suddenly, he saw Tessa grow, changing slowly into Gabriel. He bit back a gasp, but couldn't get the shock of his face in time, for Tessa looked at him, in the eye. He held the gaze steadily, until Tessa broke it by looking at Gabriel. Jem, for some reason didn't feel like he wanted to be there any longer, so he quickly asked Charlotte if she wanted tea, before returning the answer back to the kitchens.

It was almost 6 in the evening when Jem and Sophie walked out of the institute, hand in hand. Jem wanted to take Sophie to a place that was special for the both of them, and he knew the perfect place, though it was a little bit of a walk.
It was only when they approached the bridge that Sophie gasped.
"I can't believe you thought about this place!" She said, breaking free of his grasp. She ran to the bridge, happiness oozing out of her. He walked up to her and gently slid his hands around her waist. She leaned back into him, and he rested him chin on her head.
"Do you remember how we met?" Jem laughed.
"Do I ever?" He said.
He thought back to the day they met, on this very bridge.
It was about 5 years ago, and Will and him were walking around, wanting to get it of the institute. Jessamine and Charlotte had had a huge fight, leaving everyone there in riots or tears. Will was telling Jem about a girl he met, who he swore had a crush on him. Jem was in the process of telling Will just how stupid he was, when Will interrupted him. He pointed to a girl, young, sitting on a bench, a book in her hand. "See that girl? I bet if I talk to her, she will swoon" Jem said nothing, at that point he had had enough of Will and his stupid ideas and egotistical remarks.Jem walked over with Will, and watched Will tried to win over the girl, sliding next to her on the bench, his arm snaking around her shoulders. He was to far away from the two to hear what nonsense his patabatai was spewing into the poor ear. Though as he kept watching, the girl stood up, seeming angry. Suddenly scared that she may have a weapon on her, and also the fact that he was glamoured so the girl wouldn't see him, he walked towards Will, just in time to hear the angry screams of the girl.
"How dare you!" Jem stood next to Will, who seemed to be stunned. Without any warning she slapped Will, clean across the face. Jem knew Will immediately would go for his sword, so put his hand over Will's to stop it.
"Your friend is right, don't bring out the sword"
"Wait, you can see me?" Jem said.
As she nodded, Jem and Will looked at each other. Will muttered under his breath, "We need to get her to the institute"
"To this day I don't think Will has forgiven me for that slap" Sophie said, bringing him back to the present day.
They both laughed, sitting on nearest bench.
The rest of their date was spent talking about anything and everything.