Chapter 3- The attack

Dinner was extremely active, with everyone talking about different things. Jem hardly said a word, though he listened intently to everyone's conversation. To be completely truthful he was worried about Tessa, though he knew he shouldn't be thinking about her. What if she was a monster? What if the silent brothers never found anything? Tessa wouldn't be able to stay here forever. Although he hadn't really talked to Tessa all that much, he thought of her as a friend. Will stood up snapping Jem out of his trance. He looked at Jem, and Jem stud up. Tessa stood up too. All three excused themselves, and left the dining room.

Will was the first one to speak. "I'm sorry you have to go to the silent brother's" He looked at Tessa, who smiled at him.

"It's ok, I guess. Everyone wants to know who I am, especially me, and if this is what I have to do, then I guess I have to do it." Jem then spoke up. " We'll both be here, if you need us" Tessa looked at both of them. " Thanks" She said it so simply, yet Jem felt his heart lighten. He smiled too.

Will and Jem looked at each other when Tessa had said good bye and gone into her room. "Do you think she'll be alright with the silent brothers?" Jem asked, his voice a little strained. Will frowned at him. What was happening between the two? "She seems strong enough. Besides, we'll be close enough to hear if anything is wrong" Will said slowly. Jem nodded and opened his mouth but Will continued. "Is there something going on between you two?" He asked, cautiously. Jen stopped suddenly, and looked at Will, his face horrified. "No!" Jem exclaimed. "Why would you think that?" Will shook his head. "No reason." Will looked down trying to hide a smile. Gem, seeing his smile laughed. "Don't laugh at me" he said. suddenly, with no warning, gem fell down on his knees in a coughing fit. Will's laughter immediately turned into panic. He bent down, and put his arm around Jem. He felt Jem's heartbeat, irregular and jerky. will quickly glanced up to see tessa's head poking out of her door. "Will?"

"Tessa" he answered. He looked at her, and although no words were to spoken, Tessa immediately ran to Jem and Will and helped Will stand Jem up. Will manoeuvred them into Jem's bedroom, and with her help placed him carefully onto his bed. Will got the silver box and opened it, seeing that there was little left. He looked at Tessa, who was calm on the outside, but Will saw she was panicking, like him, on the inside. "Water" he said shortly, but not rudely. Tessa hurried off to get some water. Jem, at this point had stopped coughing, red blood dripping down the sides of his mouth. "Oh Jem" He said, sighing and sinking into a chair next to Jem's bed. Will was suddenly exhausted. He hated it when Jem had an attack. Jem wiped the blood away, staining the pure white handkerchief dark red. "I'm ok Will" Jem's tone was soft and reassuring. Will placed his hand on top of his, just as Tessa came in, holding a full glass of water. Will swiftly took it, put some yin fen into it and gave it to Jem, who steadily drank it. He handed it back to Will, who placed it on the table. Jem closed his eyes, and Will could feel himself hyperventilating. Will could feel himself being taken outside, and only came back into reality when he realised Tessa's huge gray eyes were staring at him steadily. "Will? Will what's wrong?" He took at deep breath and as calmly as he could explained Jem's condition. After he was done, he carefully looked at Tessa, but she wasn't shocked. She placed an hand tentatively on him arm. He looked at her hand, her delicate hand. "Hey, it's going to be fine." She said, her voice low and quiet. For once, he allowed himself to talk, something he could never do to anyone but Jem. Something about Tessa made him want to tell her everything. "What if its not, Tessa? What if he dies? I couldn't live with myself Tessa. He's my other half, closer to me than anything and anyone. He's everything to me." He took a deep breath, feeling the tears burning sensation at the back of his eyes. Without thinking, he leaned forward, his forehead touching hers. He saw the shock in her eyes, and considered moving, but couldn't bring himself to.

"Will listen to me. He'll be ok, trust me. He's not going to die now, he's going to live a happy life, and you'll be a part of it. " She said this so simply, as if stating a fact, that WIll immediately elt re-assured. They stood there for minutes, until Will knew he had to leave.

"Tessa?" She looked up, and Will noticed how beautiful she was, her big intelligent grey eyes, and her cascading brown curls. "Will you stay with Jem until I get back?" She nodded and he stepped back.

"Will you be ok?" Will smiled, nodded and turned to walk down the corridor, hearing the closing of Jem's door. He left the institute, wondering what the hell just happened.