Chapter 2- The silent Brothers

Tessa walked through the dining room, and was immediately taken aback. It was a big room, maybe bigger than the library. There was a big wooden dining table in the centre, where everyone was seated. She looked around, to see various paintings hanging on the wall, as well as photos of all the shadowhunters, displayed like a mum would display pictures of her children. Tessa smiled. This was solid proof that Charlotte loved all of them as if they were her children. Huge windows were draped with royal red curtains, lined with gold lace. Tessa took a seat at the table, next to Jem .
"I called a meeting now, because we need to find out why Tessa is needed by the council. They have been able to intercept some letter's sent to deQuincey from his various respondants all over the country, and that's how we found Tessa, but neither us nor the council know why they need Tessa, so if anyone has any ideas as to how we can find out, it would be very hepful." Charlotte looked around the dining room table and Tessa shuffled uncomfortably. Will opened his mouth but before anything came out, charlotte looked at him sternly. "Will this is not the time for one of your stupid sarcastic comments" Will promptly shut his mouth, a wounded expression covering his tanned face. Jem was the first one to give a suggestion. He looked at Tessa, and Tessa shifted in her chair slightly. She felt uncomfortable with all eyes on her, but she too was curious about this to go. "Do you have anything you feel someone as powerful as Dequincy would need you for?" he asked, his silver eyes looking at her. She paused for her minute, running over her talents, none of which seemed very important to a- .She frowned, realising she actually didn't know who the hell deQuincy was. 
"Erm.. who actually is Dequincy?"

"Dequincy is an all powerful vampire, who is the head of the New York clan, the biggest clan in the world. He's also the head of a couple of other smaller clans. Now he's planning some huge evil thing and no-one knows anything about it, all we know is he needs you, which is why we rescued you from that prison" Will answered quickly.

"Well, unless an all-powerful vampire needs to know quotes from a lot of books I got nothing" Tessa replied dryly. She looked up, quickly enough to see Will and Jem smiling a little, and sophie looking at Jem, with a peculiar look on her face. Sophie had always been a kind person, always polite to everyone. It was odd to see her with that expression on her face. Just then, Jessamine, who Tessa hadn't heard very much over the past two weeks, gave a suggestion. Jessamine was like some people in her school. They wear a different clothes every day, and after wearing a dress three times, they throw it out. 

"What about the silent brothers? They could probably figure out what's wrong with her, and why Dequincy wants her so much."
Everyone looked at each other, Tessa looking down. She seemed to be the only person not happy about the plan. It wasn't that she didn't want to find out why she was needed, sure she did. But the silent brother's creeped her out. Their tall ghostly figures, covered in long dark robes. Their hollow eyes and mouths sewn shut. Their echoing voices shouting inside her head. She shuddered at the though of them, but was determined not to show anyone else how scared she was of the silent brothers.

Jem looked at Tessa, her slim frame shuddering at the at the thought of the silent brothers. He looked away quickly, to see Sophie looking at him. Her hand hesitantly went on top of hers, and, smiling he interlocked his fingers with hers. Happiness flooded through him.

Before looking around the table. Charlotte stood up had brown hair falling out of its bun. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Sophie give him one last glance before looking at Charlotte. "Who agrees with Jessamine raise a hand" Charlotte asked. Henry, Sophie, Charlotte and Jessamine raised a hand while Tessa and Will kept theirs down. Although he wanted to know why Tessa was needed he couldn't shake the memory of the look of fright on her face when silent brothers were mentioned. He couldn't bring himself to put his hand up. Charlotte smiled."it's settled then. We'll ask the silent brothers to come here tomorrow.". Just then, Agatha, the institute cook came in, her red hair frizzy from the steam in the kitchen. "Foods ready madame" she called. Charlotte nodded. Sophie stood up and went to help Agatha, leaving after kissing Jem on the cheek. Jem looked at Will, who wore a cheeky smile, but his eyes were dark. Jem knew something was wrong, but couldn't read what it was.