Chapter 14- Mind games

Will waited in his room for Jem's knock, he wanted to know how his date went. He figured of he couldn't get to experience that anymore, he at least wanted to hear about it. On cue, Jem's knock came, a special knock that Will knew was his. Jem came in, and sat next to him.
"How'd it go?" Will asked, even though he already knew the answer.
"It was amazing, we talked about everything, the past, the future" Jem said, but Jem didn't seem as happy as he should be.
"But?"
Jem looked at Will, with a frown. "Why do you think there's a 'But'?" Will shrugged. Jem sighed. "It doesn't feel like it did you know? It's not easy anymore, and we hardly talk anymore." Jem spoke with a sad tone, and Will decided to change the subject.
"You missed a quick meeting. Turns out Tessa can turn into a vampire, so tomorrow she's going to turn into deQuincy and see if she can access his memories, and plans hopefully." Jem nodded and they say there in silence for a while, Jem's delicate head on Will's shoulder. Will's heart felt heavy. He wished he could share his problems with Jem, like they used too when they were younger. But he couldn't burden Jem with this. He brought this on himself, no-one else.
After about ten minutes, he heard a noise, and seeing that Jem was now lying down on his bed fast asleep, he decided to check it out. Slipping his shoes and a different top on, he headed out the door and followed the noise, which he found was coming from the weapons room. Peering inside, he saw Tessa and Gabriel. Anger flared up inside of him. Gabriel better not be trying to hurt Tessa. Otherwise, He would unleash hell on him.
"So, what's going on here then? Rubbing some of your bad skills of onto poor Tessa?" Will drawled, leaning on the doorframe, trying his hardest not to let any emotions leak out.
"On the contrary, actually. Tessa and I were talking" Will tried not to notice the fact that one of Gabriel's hands was holding Tessa's with the weapon, while the other was on her waist.
"And she asked if I could teach her how to fight, which could come in handy if she needs to" Gabriel continued, and to Will's annoyance he had noticed Will's stare, and seemed quite happy about it.
"Gabriel, get outside, now" Will's tone was harsh.
"Ooh I'm so scared Mr Herondale, have I been bad?" Gabriel mocked him, making Will use every inch of his willpower not to slap him.
The moment Gabriel shut the door, Will started.
"What the hell are you doing?"
"What am I doing? I'm teaching someone how to fight, while your busy goofing around and doing absolutely nothing"
"No, your trying to poison her so she hates me"
"What makes you think I am? Is it so hard for you to believe that your little lady crush likes me? And for your information, not that it's any of your business, I actually like her too. I don't use people to get to my enemies unlike some people" and with that Gabriel left, leaving Will staring behind him. He heard the door open, and turned to see Tessa staring at him.
"Why did you send him away?"
Will sighed and walked into the weapons room and closed the door quickly.
"Why didn't you tell us you wanted to fight? Me or Jem could have taught you, instead of Gabriel"
"Why? Do I have to ask before I do anything? I'm hungry Will, am I allowed to go and get something to eat?" She was telling now, evidently furious.
"That's not what i-"
"I had to change into Gabriel, Will. I was Gabriel for a few minutes, I was a Shadowhunter, a man. Do you know how powerful I felt? I didn't have to sit around in a huge dress, waiting for other's to go and fight my battles for me. I could do whatever the hell I wanted to. I felt powerful and I liked that. So Gabriel suggested he teach me how to fight and I said yes. What do you care so much anyway?"
Will ran his hand through his hair, this was going to be hard.
"Tessa, listen to me. He's using you to get to me. He hates me, and he thinks getting to you would get to me"
"Will, he's not getting at you through me. If he wanted to get to you through another person, he would pick Jem, not me" Her voice had gone soft now, she evidently thought he was delusional now.
"Why is this getting to you so much?" Tessa said, taking a few steps towards him.
Without any warning, he closed the gap between them, his lips on hers. He felt her tense, but slowly lean in, her arms around his neck, his hands around her waist. They were backing up against a wall, when suddenly Tessa broke free of him with a gasp, and he heard daggers fall onto the floor with a crash
"Tessa?" She was looking at her  right arm, and there was a huge jagged cut all the way down her forearm. He bent down and took her wrist gently, trying to get a closer look at the cut. It didn't look too bad, but since she wasn't a Shadowhunter therefore she couldn't have an iratze she must have been in a lot of pain. He heard footsteps.
"Jem?"
"Yeah what happened here?"
"Go get Sophie now"
Without questioning him, Jem did, and Sophie came a couple of minutes later.
Once Tessa had been taken to the infermary, Will thought about what had happened. Why had he kissed Tessa?  What had come over him? He suddenly thought of something horrific. The cut, the blood, the dagger, it was the curse.