Kidnapping wasn't on the shopping list

CHAPTER TWO
2ND POV
6 / 2 0 / 1 9
/ / /
"But there are some things, child, that you should steal. That you must steal, if you have enough love and courage in your heart. You must snatch freedom from the hands of the tyrant. You must spirit away innocent lives before they are destroyed. You must hide secret and sacred places."
– Lian Tanner
/ / /

In the morning, you did two things before Aami awoke: set up a gofundme, and created a shopping list.

Once Aami woke up, you made some waffles for the both of you, and you chatted more over breakfast.

"Got anythin' goin' on at school?" You asked. You sipped from your water bottle.

"There's a parent-teacher conference. Ma and Dad never go. I was hoping you would . . . ?" You were met with a hopeful look.

"I dunno, kid. I think that's somethin' fo' your real parents. Can I even do that? As someone who's not your legal guardian?" You looked at her apologetically. She sighed and shrugged. There wasn't much conversation after that, besides your attempts to start one.

She threw out a "Thanks, Cenn," as she collected the plates for washing that threw you off. That might take a while to get used to. However, you didn't mind it.

"Alright, get dressed," you told her once clean-up was done, "we got some shoppin' ta do. You got your own money or no?"

   "Yeah," The girl answered. "Dad'll pay me just to leave 'im alone." Statements of hers like that hacked away at your heart.

   You took the bus to get some clothes from her own house. The two of you went to thrift stores for cheap clothes that were still nice to wear. You bought Aami her own toothbrush and various school supplies. She pitched in some money to help you.

   "Want some ramen for lunch?" You asked as you both stepped out of the bus, holding your shopping bags. She nodded.

   "Can we try the soy ones? I've had beef and chicken. Beef is better."

   "I'll keep that in mind," you said, smiling. The two of you walked for a few minutes before reaching your apartment building. You opened the door for the girl before walking yourself.

   "Ms. Kiefer?" You called out. She wasn't at her desk like usual. There wasn't even anyone taking her place. Aami pauses at the stairs.

"Are you Y/N L/N?" A man came out from the door to the other side of the desk.

"Who's asking?" You looked him over suspiciously. This was the guy that'd been looking for you yesterday, wasn't it?

Was he a cop? You hadn't done anything illegal since you'd gotten out, unless you were counting jaywalking. Maybe he was one of those gang members you'd stolen from? That made you freeze up. Experience told you any of these outcomes wouldn't would end badly. Time to get the girl outta here.

"Aami? Can you take my bags upstairs while we talk?" She nodded and made no noise. There was a pleading look in your eyes that made her move faster.

"Oh no, please stay. We're going to need both of you." The man's face darkened as his smirk grew. A pit in your stomach grew.

"Who's we?" You questioned. You tugged the preteen closer to your chest, only for her to be torn away by men clad in black armor. Goggles covered their eyes and masks covered their faces. The shopping bags fell to the ground.

"Cenn!" The Indian girl shouted in distress. Her mouth was covered up. Her eyes began to leak and beg for help.

"Aami!" You cried out. You were seized from behind, your arms being held in an unshakable grip. Something dug into your back. You instinctively knew it was a gun.

You saw Aami glance fearfully at the gun pointed at her. She was as still as a statue.

"Cenn? Anglo-Saxon, right? That's just cute. Don't worry, you won't be separated for long," he said as something sharp entered your skin: a needle. You watched as the young girl got the same treatment.

"The drug's been administered, sir," the soldier with the needle said.

"Perfect," his unmasked leader replied.

"What do you plan on doing with us?" You demanded. You were beginning to feel drowsy.

"You'll find out soon enough."

/ / /

"Why don't my parents care about me, Y/N?" A 7-year-old Aami asked you.

The two of you were sitting on a park bench watching a pair of joggers fly by. It was a new bench with green-pained wood for seats.

You hadn't yet finished your ice cream. She had and had tossed her cup and spoon into the trash to her left. You were going to offer yours until her question froze you.

"What makes you say that?"

"I'm seven, not stupid." Fair enough, kid.

"I don't know, hon. Lots of people want to be parents even though they shouldn't be. Y'know, like anti-vaxxers, or flat-eathers." That one earned an amused huff. You extended your arm as a silent invitation for a hug. She leaned in and you rubbed her shoulder.

"Can I just stay with you? You care, don't you? I don't have to try for hours to get your attention. You ask me about how my day is going and help me with my ELA homework, and . . ." You didn't have to see Aami's face to know she was crying. You could feel the tears staining your shirt already.

"I don't know, kid," you said, thinking back to your last job. You'd gotten hurt and screwed up. That turned criminal trespassing into breaking and entering. Some gang members you'd stolen from were trying to track you down. One of your past suppliers might've sold you out. Karma was coming for you. "I'm not in too good of a situation right now. I care about you, I really do! And I'd love to have you over but . . ."

Goddamnit! How do you explain to a small child that your job is stealing from others?! How do you explain the fact that you'd mixed yourself up with so many terrible people? You needed to stay away from her for her own safety.

You would do that soon enough, just not in the way you'd expected.

/ / /

   "Thanks to our newfound expertise on the subject, as well as our perfected T-Cog," Silas said with a growing smile, "as well as scrapped vehicon troopers, we were able to form into our own custom soldiers, and add our own ingenious additions, we our now in reach of our goal: creating our first sentient, cybernetic soldier. Not only that, but creating a child version so we can study how this species grows and develops."

   The leader of MECH stared up at his group's latest creations. His hands were clasped behind his back. His pupils trailed the masked men that applied the final touches to the soon-to-be-bodies of his test subjects.

   "Sir!" Silas turned to the soldier approaching him. "Should we begin the conscience transfer? The bodies and sparks are ready." Silas nodded with a neutral face, hiding his excitement. Then masked man turned away and told his companions to commence the experiment.

It was time.