Drive home

Callen's pov:
Hearing footsteps coming our way, let's me look up from the little angel in my lap.
„Mister Callen. I am afraid we need to talk about what to do with little Johanna." Hetty says and takes a seat across from me.
„Firstly, she doesn't like to be called that, so call her Jo or whatever! And second, what do you mean? She obviously will stay with us, better yet, with me. So do your magic!" i answer her matter of factly.
„Do you know what you are talking Mr. Callen?" she asks me worriedly.
„I know that you want to keep her safe, but we can't keep her here without informing her foster home." she tries to reason with me.
„Did anyone even noticed that she isn't there?" I question her, even though I am pretty sure that no one has realized that she was missing, nor care where she may be.
„It doesn't look like it. However, we need to follow the protocol." she reasoned.
„If you tell them, you are only putting her in even more danger! You do realize that Hetty!" i angrily tell her. How could she even think of doing something like that! A heavy sigh leaves her lips, before she tries again.
„I do realize that Mr Callen! And you can believe me that I am not happy about it." she sighs again while looking at the small girl curled up against me.
„Hetty, we need to talk!" a frustrated Granger shouts when he enters the building. Normally I would ignore it, but not when his shouting is waking my little girl from her nap! And yes i said MY girl, because she is my girl! And no one is going to take my little love away from me! Not without losing that battle!!! A tiny whimper immediately has my whole attention.
„Shh love, you are perfectly fine! I got you!" I whisper softly while again starting to caress her back soothingly. Seeing the little bundle in my arms Granger stops his yelling right away and a soft smile forms on his face. something I have never seen on him and was completely unheard of.
„Is that the small girl you were talking about Hetty?" he asks without taking his eyes off of her.
„That indeed is our little Jo. Could you help our case? We really would like to keep her with us. As far as I know, no one has even noticed her missing." Hetty answers him, with a glint in her eyes.
„You all know the rules. If a child gets found we have to take them back to their parents or in this case, foster parents." he says with regret.
„That is correct Owen, but if someone is in need of protection!?" Hetty starts with a small smirk. Oh! I know where this is going and I like it a lot!!
„Well, in that case, someone has to take her with them." Granger answers happy that we don't have to take her back to a foster home.
„I take her!!" I immediately say. No way is anyone taking her if that someone isn't me!
„Mr. Callen, are you sure about that? You have no idea how to take care of a child. And I am pretty sure we could find someone more capable for this task!" Granger answers me, eyeing me warily while saying so.
„I am more than capable of taking care of her!!" I tell him angry at his assumption.
„And non of you are going to tell me anything different!" I announce and stand up with my little angel safely in my arms.
„Where are you going Mister Callen?" Hetty asks from behind me.
„Home!" i shout over my shoulder.
„G, there you guys are! I shopped some stuff for the little angel here!" sam announces happily from the entryway as I come into sight. Smiling at him thankfully, he really is the best friend that anyone can ask for!
„Thank you!" I say with a real smile.
„Don't mention it! We both know that you are the best one to take care of little Jo here!" he answers me honestly.
„Just a heads up, your house is nearly unrecognizable from how you left it." he adds after he started the car to take my little angel and myself home.
„What do you mean?" I question him a bit irritated.
„Well, you are now taking care of my favorite niece, so I and Michelle May have overdone it a bit." he answers happily, while shocking me that he already picked up about me wanting to adopt the little girl.
„How did you know that already?" I ask in slight disbelief.
„G, you are my best friend, like a brother really. So for me, it was completely clear that you won't let her stay with her foster home, not if you could help it. Especially after seeing you holding her so protectively." he tells me matter of factly. His statement makes me feel all warm from the inside, something I haven't felt in ages.
„That's why I called Michelle to help me prepare your house for the little angel." he adds with a quick look in the back to see if the little one is alright.
„Thank you! For everything. Not only for what you are doing now, but also for being there for me the last months and years." I whisper quietly to him, feeling a bit embarrassed for getting this sappy, but it's the truth. He always was there for me, even then when I told him to more or less fuck off.
„That's what Family is there for!" he answers me and squeezes my shoulder with a soft smile towards me.
„Callen?!" a slightly afraid voice asks from the back, which instantly gets not only mine but also Sam's attention back at the little girl.
„Don't worry love, I am right here. My best friend Sam is driving us back home." I softly reply her.
„No! Please no home! I be good! Pwomis!!" She nearly shouts in a panic. Sam immediately stops the car on the side of the road, so I can get to the back with the panicked girl. Hurriedly I pull her into my chest, whispering to her that she doesn't have to worry, that I won't let anyone ever hurt her again. Her little hands cling onto my shirt in a frantic try to make sure I won't leave her side.
„Love, i didn't meant that we are taking you back to your former foster home. We are taking you to my home. You are staying with me. No one is going to hurt you. Shh, take some deep breaths love. Everything is going to be alright." I whisper into her ear softly, hugging her as close as possible into my chest. Slowly her breathing is calming down.
„That's is Love! Sich a Good Girl. Are you ready to go to my house?" I say lovingly.
„Stay?" She ask me a bit frightened.
„Of course love. But you have to sit in your seat so you are safe on the drive, ok." I tell her reassuringly. She slightly nods at me after a bit, so I again put her into the booster seat. When Sam starts the car again, I take her hand in mine, so Jo is reassured that I still am next to her.