29. Date

Thursday, December 12, 2013

9:48p.m.

I combed my fingers through my curly hair while looking at myself in the mirror with a smile. I got to go on a date with Joe after he randomly called and told me to dress casually. It was our first date after a three-year break, and it wasn't anywhere near as awkward as I assumed things would be. We fell back into an easy rhythm, mixed with casual conversation, harmless flirting, and ideas about the near future. It was like we hadn't missed a beat.

Mark was very apprehensive about me roaming around in public without someone watching over me. Just to give everyone a little more security and confidence about me being out, Joe took his gun out with him when he came to get me. I wasn't okay knowing he was walking around with a weapon stashed away, but I didn't get much say on the issue. Things did get before for me when Joe pulled up at "Painting With a Twist," a class we took to do art. The twist was the alcoholic beverages and appetizers. Joe specifically requested sparkling apple cider and virgin drinks for both of us on top of renting out an entire room to ourselves. I couldn't help but wonder how much it cost to do that.

I hadn't picked up a paintbrush in years but I enjoyed myself. I wasn't Frida Kahlo or Picasso by any means, but I was good at following the instructor's directions and putting my spin on things when it was called for. Joe also had to remind me not to try or think too hard, which as a perfectionist, I took as a challenge to be a little more carefree. In the end, I got to tease Joe about how mine was significantly better than his, and I gave minimum effort. His painting looked more like colorful poop than a beach, but it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen.

After our painting session wrapped, Joe took me to a Moroccan-themed restaurant that was a little way out of the city. We had our little section on the second floor of the building and we served seven courses. I got to try chicken Bastila and I thought their lamb was cooked to perfection. By the time dinner was over, I felt like I was going to explode but still found a way to make room for mint tea.

While we were out, one of Mark and Michelle's daughters sprained her leg and they were at the emergency with her. I wanted to meet them there and make sure she was okay, but they told me to stay back with Joe. We had no idea what time they'd get back home and Mark didn't want me in the house alone, so Joe said I could stay the night at his house. I wasn't complaining about how things turned out. I was just relieved when Joe removed the gun from the waistband of his jeans and returned to a draw in his nightstand with the safety on.

I opened the door to Joe's master bedroom to find him resting on the edge of the bed, playing on his phone. I sat my clothes down on top of his dresser before meeting him at the bed.

"You didn't give me any pants," I frowned. If it weren't for his shirt and my underwear, I'd be naked.

"Yeah, I know," he shrugged.

"You want me naked?"

"I wouldn't mind," he grinned up at me.

I hadn't even noticed Joe's hands were on his hips until I felt them trail underneath the shirt. The coldness of his fingertips made me shiver, but I ignored it and took a seat on his lap. I wrapped my arms around his neck, immediately slipping my tongue past his lips to explore. I slowed down the kissing to gently tug at his bottom lip and he let out a throaty groan. His hands slid down from my butt to rub against the back of my thighs before he flipped us over so that he was on top. My back hit the soft covers, and instinctively, my legs wrapped around his torso. We broke the kiss before Joe trailed along my neck and shoulders, biting and sucking gently. I felt him lift the shirt I was wearing and place a kiss just above my underwear and a moan escaped my lips.