19

| | Ryan | |

Wine is not my friend.

I pop another ibuprofen in my mouth as I wait for the man behind the counter to gather the items I had ordered last week. My head has been throbbing ever since I woke up this morning, still in my clothes from last night and my make up smeared across my face and pillow. I barely remember going back to my apartment last night, but I definitely remember telling Ryker about Garrett.

He didn't say much after I told him that Garrett died, but he didn't need to. His actions spoke louder, pulling me close and letting me cry on his chest like he did that night in the stairwell. Opening up to and being comforted by Ryker is becoming more and more normal, and I'm not complaining about that fact.

"Here you go, ma'am." The man places a box on the counter and pushes it toward me. I peak inside, checking to make sure that it's everything I need before thanking him and carrying the box outside where a taxi is waiting for me. I struggle to get the box in the backseat as the driver watches from the drivers seat. Huffing in annoyance, I slide into the seat next to my box and bite back the comment I want to say to the driver as he pulls out onto the street. 

As he drives, I pull out my phone and see that I have a text from Dash. 

Dash : Got lunch plans? 

Depends. Does drinking coffee while working count as lunch plans? 

Dash: I've been known to do that a few times, but no, I don't think it counts. 

Then no, I guess I don't have lunch plans. 

Dash: Would you like to make some with me? Just as friends of course. 

I look out the taxi window for a minute before turning my attention back to my phone. Why not? We talked and he understands. There's no secret anymore and he's a nice guy. Plus, I could use a few more friends, I can't keep bothering Ryker every day and night. 

Sounds good. Can you meet me at the Davis Family Bike shop around noon? That's where I'm working. 

Dash : Just send me the address :) 

When the taxi pulls up to the bike shop, the driver once again offers me no assistance, and speeds away as soon as I close the car door behind me. I struggle to the door, trying to balance the box and my bag as I reach for the handle, barely able to see where I'm going or what I'm doing. I hear the bell above the door chime before my hand even touches the handle, "Need some help?" 

"Nah, I love the challenge." 

Link takes the box from my hands and I give him a grateful smile. "You're lucky I'm the one that saw you. Ry loves to watch people struggle with heavy boxes and offer no assistance." He says as we make our way across the sales floor and to the back counter. As soon as he sits the box of the counter, Ryker comes out of the backroom.

"I only like to watch you struggle. I would have helped Ryan." He tosses the items in his hands on the counter and I wince at the noise they make when they land. "A bit hungover?" Ryker asks, giving me a smile that is a mix of teasing and slight concern. 

"Nothing some coffee won't fix." I make my way over to the coffee maker behind him. I know that he won't bring up our conversation last night, and I'm glad I told him, but I still feel a little awkward around him at the moment.