20• THE LAST SUPPER

Sabrina and i rush through the halls of the Academy, "do we have a plan?" I ask quickly.

Sabrina shakes her head, "nope".

We open the doors to the sewing room, signing out in relief.

"Prudence, we need to talk to you" I breathe out as Agatha and Dorcas help fit Prudence for her dress.

"I'm being fitted for my feast-" she rolls her eyes and Sabrina stops her.

"It was...premature of us to accuse father Blackwood of having an agenda when he chose you as queen" she nods.

Prudence smirks, "finally, you've come to your-"

"We think it might be lady Blackwood who wants you dead" I cut her off and her smile turns to a scowl, "what blasphemous creatures you are".

"You said father Blackwood treats you like a daughter, is it possible you actually are his daughter?" Sabrina asks.

Prudence scrunches her face.

"Because if you were, lady Blackwood would see you as a threat" I explain.

She shakes her head, "have you completely lost your minds?" She looks between us.

"Maybe, but why does father Blackwood take care of you?" Sabrina points out.

"Because he's charitable" Prudence shrugs, does she really see herself as a charity case?

"If you were Blackwood's daughter, you could one day lay claim to the church of night, the school, everything" I step forward, "but you'd have to get rid of his legitimate heirs first" I raise my brows.

"Stop this, please stop this" she tears up angrily.

"If lady Blackwood had it out for you, wouldn't it be convenient for her if you were sacrificed at the feast of feasts?" Sabrina stresses.

"For the last time, it is the dark Lord's will that i am to be queen" Prudence grits her teeth.

"What if it's the will of a witch, a pregnant witch with a grudge against you and your sisters" I suggest.

"We just left her at out house, she was ranting about how you're plotting against her and how she needed to hurt you before you could hurt her" Sabrina tells her.

Prudence lowers her shoulders, "do you have even a shred of proof? Besides lady Blackwood's hysterical ramblings?" She asks.

I shake my head lightly as Sabrina speaks up, "No, just a hunch" she says quietly.

I look between them, "but lady Blackwood was holding the lottery box" i point out and Prudence looks away in realisation.

"Please, Prudence. We know you have complete faith this is all the dark Lord's will and that everything is going according to his plan, but if there's even a shadow of doubt in your mind, don't you want to know the truth? She'd be murdering you in front of the entire coven" Sabrina manages to get through to her.

"If I were to...entertain this fantasy of yours, how do you suggest we proceed, handmaiden?" She looks over at me.