8

As it turned out, in her haste, Artemis summoned a lot more money than she thought she had but it had its consequences. Zoë and Phoebe had to practically carry Artemis due to her lack of power following their trek into unknown territory. As he was only two and a half, Percy struggled walking, but refused to be helped - he and Nicky walked at the back of the group, Zoë and Phoebe not much further ahead, with Niomi leading the way.

"Hey, Niomi!" Nicky shouted, her voice luckily carrying through the forest over to the leading girl - who stopped and turned at her name. "I know it's only been ten miles, but Percy refuses to be carried, he needs a break."
"Oh, um, I guess we can do that. But we have to get to the hotel by nightfall. It's too dangerous to be here at night." The group huddle together, Niomi and Nicky standing next to each other. Phoebe, Zoë, Artemis and Percy sat on a log a few meters away.
"I know, just give him five minutes to rest and catch his breath. And while we are stopped, we can work out who can switch with Phoebe and Zoë."
"Okay, well, Percy will want to walk with Zoë and Phoebe if they are otherwise free, so maybe he can be convinced to be carried, which will increase our speed." Niomi quickly took role as acting leader while the others were occupied. "Jen and Celyn can take their place helping MiLady." Her voice was steady and calm - her face collected like a natural leader - but her hands trembled like a leaf in the wind.
"We'll be fine Niomi, it isn't that far - and we have been in far more dangerous situations than this one. We will reach the hotel before dark and rest up before venturing out into the world. View this as another crazy adventure and don't stress too much." Nicky grabbed the taller girl's hand and held it tight, a reassuring smile plastered on her face. "We should get going." The two quickly informed Zoe, Phoebe, Jen, Celyn, Percy and Artemis the change of arrangements and set on their way - Percy willing to be given a piggy back ride and Artemis pushing herself to the limits to keep up.

When they had been travelling for an hour, with still five miles to go, Niomi, Zoe and Nicky decided to go ahead, book a few rooms in a local hotel and prepare food - as to quicken the journey as much as possible, they took Percy with them - he settled on Niami's back as the three ran off ahead leaving Phoebe in charge.

Night fell faster than they thought - leaving them stranded in an unfamiliar abyss of darkness and sound. The larger group eventually arrived at the hotel to five booked rooms and hot meals for everyone. Soon enough, everyone was fed, warm, clean and asleep.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.