Chapter 3: The Audition

TRENT'S POV

I opened my eyes and I was back again from the harsh reality of the world.

"She told me that I should join the upcoming musical in our school because I am a great singer." I said, while tracing the rim of my teacup for I have prepared myself a tea so that I can calm my nerves while telling them my story.

***

Two months after Chantel heard me sing, a musical was suddenly created together by the Performing Arts and Music department. It was the 'High School Musical' and yes, it's originally a movie.

"Okay, Chantel, I can't do this! I can't." I said and tried to leave the backstage but she blocked me.

"Yes, you can do it Trent. You have been singing for how long?" Chantel asked.

"I don't know.... Ever since I was a kid?"

"Right. You've been singing ever since you were a kid. See? You can do this. You were able to sing in front of me before."

"I know but that's different. You're my friend so I'm comfortable doing that in front of you unlike these people... I don't even quite know them!"

She burst out laughing. "Why are you laughing?! This is not some kind of a joke, Chantel!" I said in annoyance.

"I know that Trent but..." She said then laughed again. "Trent, you have to calm down." Then she held both of my shoulders.

I sighed, "I'm just worried. What if I didn't get the role of Troy?" I asked and then she cupped my face.

"So what if you didn't get to be Troy in this musical? What's important is that you had fun." She replied as she smiled at me encouragingly.

***

"So did you end up doing the audition?" Julian asked. I smiled, "I ended up doing the audition." I answered.

"Now that's our Trenty-boy!" Will said.

"Did you make it through the audition?" Jayden asked me.

I looked up at the stars in the starry night sky.

***

"Trent Kenneth Bell." The director of the play called out my name.

"There you go. It's your turn. You can do it, Trent. I believe in you." Chantel said to me then she gave me a tight hug before running out of backstage. I walked onto the stage and the judges were looking at me.

"What are you gonna sing for us?" Mr. Drew, the music teacher in our school asked me.

"Yearning for Your Love by Gap Band." I said and then he nodded as he stopped shuffling the papers on his desk and looked at me intently.

"Okay. Take it away." He said.

I took a deep breath and then the music started playing.

The time has come for us to stop messin' around

'Cause don't you know that I like havin' you around

In my life

Oh, baby

So many times I want to hold you, oh, so near

I want to say I love you softly in your ear

Oh, baby

Don't keep running

My heart is yearning for your love