Right as rain

I was in bed waiting for Dianne to come in. It was getting close to 1 am and my eyes were growing heavier and heavier. But I was willing myself to stay awake to see Dianne that day, well, night. Instead of the morning. You get what I mean.

She was working flat out, so she must have been physically and mentally exhausted. I was so proud of her and all that she was doing. I'd expect when she did come in that she'd just want to get straight into bed and sleep for England. And probably Australia too. What I didn't expect was for her to come in in the state that she had been.

She stood in the doorway, door still ajar, sobbing her little heart out. Maybe if something like this had happened six months ago, I would not have known what to do. Perhaps I would have stood there, opening and closing my mouth like a goldfish. Luckily I knew she was a hugging person so my instincts kicked in and I took my girlfriend into my arms.

When I went to shut the door, she looked up at me as if she thought she was imagining me. When she realised I was real, she held me in a vice grip and pleaded, "Don't go," as if she thought I was going to disappear.

I refrained from joking I really was a ghost but instead kissed her head. "Come with me. I'm just shutting the door." Tears were still falling, although the sobbing had subsided.

Her breathing evened out and she whispered, "Thank you." She was so quiet I barely heard her say it.

"How could I not do that? I love you." I looked into her eyes and asked in a really soft voice, more so than intended, "What's the matter? Do you want to talk?"

"I'm sick." She sniffed to prove her point. "And achy. I missed you."

"I missed you too." I kissed her lips softly and she responded in kind. "So much." My heart was filled with so much love for her, but concern for her comfort overtook me. "Do you wanna get out of those clothes? No, not in that way. I just want you to get comfortable before we get into bed. Oh god, not in that way." I muttered to myself, 'Stop digging yourself a deeper hole.'

She dissolved into a fit of giggles, tears falling once again. Well, at least they were good tears. "You know how to cheer a girl up, don't you?" Her usual smile spread across her face and I knew she'd be right as rain in no time.

"I know how to cheer you up, that's for sure." I wasn't afraid to quip. "But I don't know about any other girl."

"Hey, rude."

"You love me for it though."

"Don't know if it's for that, but I do love you." I tucked her head under my chin and kissed the top of her head.