There's Method to her Madness

We'd finished filming one of our videos for In The Pan Series 2 and this time round, Rina had made The Little Mermaid cake. Let's face it, it's bound to be amazing coming from Rina.

"Hey, Dianne? I love how your mum is tidy and cleans up as she goes along. See, those cupboards and the fridge are closed? Why can't you do the same?"

"Blame Andrew. He dropped me on my head when I was a baby."

"Is that actually true, Rina?" She was laughing, crying and nodding her head.

"To be honest, it wasn't that bad." Rina wiped her eyes. "Dot didn't even cry."

"Andrew was the one that kept crying, bless him," Mark said. "He wouldn't stop saying sorry. But he wouldn't have dropped her if Dot wasn't such a fidget."

"Her head was probably damaged by then," I affectionately teased her, stroking her hair. I don't know what expression Rina had on her face, but I looked googly eyed at Dianne and she smirked at me. "Whatever you're planning isn't going to work," I said out loud as much for the benefit of Dianne but also for her parents' as well.

Dianne and I had agreed to keep our displays of affection to a minimum in front of her parents. But times like this, when Dianne looked adorable, was making that agreement difficult. When I saw we weren't being observed, I placed a quick kiss to Dianne's lips.

~—~

It was evening and the four of us were quietly doing our own thing. Rina was reading a book, legs outstretched on the sofa, Mark was at the very end of it watching something on his phone, occasionally laughing to himself. Dianne and I looked up each time this happened whilst each of us were editing our own vlogs.

I was so proud of her for taking this on and doing so well in her own way. I'd made no secret of it either. Literally everyone who knows me and knows of me has heard and seen how proud I was of her.

"Let's play a card game," Dianne said suddenly.

"That was random. What do you have in mind?"

"Snap."

"Seriously? A kid's game?"

"Why not?" She smirked. "Afraid of losing a kid's game to me?"

"Oooooh. You've thrown down the gauntlet." She looked confused. "Game on!" I clarified.

"Dad? Do you want to play?"

"And Rina, will you ref?"

"Sure," Rina answered.

"If I must." He paused his... YouTube video (thought so) and I saw he was watching Buzz and Melski. I smiled to myself seeing them getting the support of his dad. More people needed to watch their vlogs. They were real pros at it. Too bad they didn't want me to plug their channel any more than I have.

Once we started our game, it soon became apparent he was purposely losing to us. Even Dianne cottoned on to it.

"Dad! Stop trying to lose!"

"I don't know what you mean." I laughed.

"That's rubbish. Go on, give me your cards. You can go back to Buzz and Melski." Mark gave me the lot.

"Dad! You're supposed to be giving that to me! I'm your daughter." By that time Mark was back watching whatever he was watching before. I smirked at her and stuck my tongue out at her. "Hey, Ref. Tell him that he's cheating!"

"Sorry, Dot. Joe was going to get it anyway."

"... SNAP!" I slammed down my hand just before Dianne slammed hers on mine. "Ow!" I looked at her and she was smirking. "You slammed your hand on mine on purpose." She giggled in response.

I couldn't stand it when Dianne wouldn't put her card down right on top of the others. I was just tidying it up, and just as I picked it up, Dianne said, "That didn't match, put it down." I put the pile down slowly just to annoy her.

"I wouldn't have had to do that if you put your card down here."

"I did." I love how petulant she was being.

I snorted. "You did not! You put it all the way over there."

Rina laughed and Dianne said, "Ma! You're supposed to be siding with me."

"Awww, sweetheart. You know he was just telling the truth."

"To be fair though, I was exaggerating." I kissed her forehead, or threehead, to make it up to her. "Come on. Let's finish this game."

Finally the game ended with me winning. "Good game," I said, holding out my hand to Dianne. "Come on. You know game etiquette by now."

"Unfair advantage," she muttered under her breath. "Good game," she said begrudgingly.

"Soooo... rematch? Or do you not want to lose a kid's game twice in a row?"

"Maybe. Yeah. Tomorrow, though. I'm tired." I got up and pulled her up towards me. "Night, guys. See you tomorrow."

I was in the en suite bathroom brushing my teeth when I heard Dianne say from our bedroom, "Joe? Do you know where my teddy bear hoodie is?" I almost choked on my toothpaste.

"YOUR teddy bear hoodie!" I said, coming into the room. It was like coming into a bomb site. There were clothes everywhere and in the centre of it all were Dianne and her suitcase. I could feel a headache starting to come on just by looking at it. "Firstly, that's my hoodie, not yours. Secondly, if you weren't so messy, you'd be able to find it. Lastly, what are you after a hoodie for? It's hot!"

She shrugged. "I just want to know where it is."

I shook my head. "You wind me up."

"You haven't answered my question."

"Even if I did know where it was, I wouldn't tell you because it's mine."

~—~

I rolled over on my side and felt an empty space beside me. Dianne must have been up already. It was close to nine in the morning, so I bet she must have been up for hours.

I went downstairs to see Rina and Dianne chatting away.

"Dot, honestly." She shut a drawer.

"I forgot." She was eating cake. To be honest, I was going to have that for breakfast too. "This cake is so good!"

I walked into the kitchen and saw the cupboard door where the plates are kept open. I heard Rina shut what must have been the cutlery drawer. At least the fridge door was shut.

I shook my head at her.

"Good morning, ladies. Where's Mark?"

"He was still asleep last I left him."

"Ah, bless. Must have been tired. He's usually up the same time as you, isn't he?"

"Yes."

"Good morning, my love." I kissed her head. "Well done for picking up most of your things. What are you going to do with the rest?"

"I'll sort it out after my breakfast."

"What exactly are you going to do?"

"Sssh. I know what I'm doing."

Rina laughed and said, "She makes it sound like there's method to her madness, but there isn't, really."

"Mum... why are you picking on me?" She pouted and opened her arms wide for her mum.

Rina hugged her back and said, "I'm just teasing you, honey. I love you really." It was such a nice thing to watch a mother and daughter bond together. It made me glad I have such an awesome mum as well.