Transitioning

Being a vampire isn't what everyone romanticizes it as. Sure, Jade got to spend her forever with Travis, but what about her mother? What about her best friend who had stuck by them when her relationship with Travis was tested? It had only been six months since she was changed, but Jade already felt like her life was going to miss so much. She would never grow old, sitting at home in a rocking chair waiting for a call from grandchildren. She would eventually have to leave her mother before she became aware that she wasn't aging. And somewhere even farther down the road of her life, she would see the funerals of everyone she loved, leaving her alone in this world with no one but Travis. She loved Travis with all her slow beating heart, but she knew that it wouldn't be enough to shield her from the pain of losing her family.

            Travis tried to help Jade transition as best as he could, but she always felt ready to slip. She was sure that if Travis weren't around to help, she more than likely would have. Having thoughts like these always brought Jade back to Mandee. While Mandee had aimed to just kill Jade, making it impossible for Travis to be happy, she ended up changing her. If Mandee had been smart enough to think of it, she would have realized that it was the perfect torture for Jade. Travis struggled daily with his cravings as he worked at the studio or performed at shows, surrounded by humans; especially girls with fast pounding pulses, rushing blood in their veins almost screaming for him to take a bite. Even while she was human, Jade's blood had tempted him continuously and yet he never gave in. While Jade tried her hardest to be as good as him, she had to accept that he wasn't around people with pulses twenty four seven.

            Jade spent hours in school, always surrounded by the sound of rushing blood. Her first day back to school after changing was the worst for her. Everywhere she turned, she could hear the blood flowing through her peers like never ending rivers. She eventually had to cut her day short, running to Travis for help. It had taken her a while, but eventually she learned to tune out the sound. Unfortunately, when it came time to sleep, she wasn't as in control of this ability. So night after night, she had to struggle with the bloodlust that ran through her at the sound of her mother's heartbeat.

            After a few months, the need for blood didn't hit her as hard and she thought that she was finally going to be able to handle it. But just like the rest of her life in the past year, anytime something good happens to her, something bad follows.