Breakdown's handiwork

-Three months later-

"Whatcha workin' on, Breaky?" Bulkhead asked as he lumbered over to the navy blue mech, his optics ridges raised with interest. It looked like Breakdown was working on a little bed of some sort.

Breakdown glanced up from his work and grinned, taking a sip of energon from a cube before answering his olive green comrade. "A crib. I designed it so that when we don't need it anymore, it can be dissembled and reassembled into a bed!"

"Wow! So this is what you've been using your energon breaks for! I think Knockout will love it." Bulkhead chuckled. "How is he by the way? Still moody?" The wrecker asked jokingly.

Breakdown's smile only grew bigger and he nodded, putting the finishing touches on the crib before standing up. "Yeah, he almost took my head off yesterday when I didn't buff him when he wanted me to." He laughed, finishing off his cube and sighing. "Well, I probably should get back to work. It was nice of you to stop by, buddy." Still smiling, Breakdown wrapped his arms around Bulkhead in a hug.

"No problem, Breaky. See you around!" Bulkhead chuckled, waving goodbye as he walked off down the street.

———

Breakdown quickly but carefully carried the crib that he had built down the street, heading for the apartment that he and Knockout shared. In order to surprise his sparkmate, he needed to get there before Knockout returned from work, which could be any minute now.

He fumbled for his keys and hurriedly unlocked the door, almost tripping as he stepped inside and closed the door behind him. After taking a short breather and setting his stuff down, Breakdown carried the crib into the berthroom. He gently set it down at the base of the berth and made sure it looked absolutely perfect, taking a step back to admire his handiwork. "You did good, Breakdown." He said, giving himself a pat on the back.

And then the front door opened, making the navy blue mech jump in surprise.

"Breakdown, dear, I'm home!" Knockout's voice echoed through the apartment, snapping Breakdown out of his temporary trance.

Breakdown quickly ran over to the door of the berthroom, peering out into the hallway and spotting his lovely sparkmate standing at the front door. Knockout's sparkling bump was becoming more prominent now that it had been a little over three months and it made Breakdown's spark swell with love every time he saw it.

Knockout set his stuff down and glanced up, seeing Breakdown watching him from the berthroom and smiling. "How was your day at work, sweetspark?" He asked, striding down the hallway towards his sparkmate with one hand on his middle.

"Good, what about yours?" Breakdown replied cheerfully, staying where he was so his frame was blocking the red medic's view of the crib. "I hope Wildbreak didn't bother you too much today." He chuckled softly, glancing down at Knockout's sparkling bump.

"It was fine. Wildbreak, however, was a little troublemaker! He kept kicking me at the worst times!" Knockout let out a laugh, leaning forwards to wrap his arms around Breakdown's neck in a hug.

Breakdown snorted in amusement and wrapped one arm around Knockout's shoulders, lowering the other one to rest his hand on his sparkmate's middle. "He was?" He chuckled, bending down just the slightest bit to nuzzle Knockout's sparkling bump. "Hey bud, it's not nice to kick your carrier when he's working."

He jumped slightly when he felt a kick against his hand, his smile growing.

"Feisty, isn't he?" Knockout mumbled, leaning against Breakdown's frame and sighing gently.

"Mhm..." Breakdown hummed and straightened up, looking down at Knockout lovingly. "Knocky, I have a surprise for you."

Knockout looked up at Breakdown and smiled softly, stepping back slightly. "Really? What is it?"

Breakdown couldn't stop smiling as he gently took Knockout's hands in his and led him into the berthroom, keeping his back to the crib so the red mech wouldn't see it. Once he was close, he stepped aside and revealed the crib with pride.

Knockout's optics widened with surprise and he felt like he was going to cry. Gosh, his emotions were all out of wack... "You.... You made that?" He asked in disbelief, flicking his gaze to Breakdown.

Breakdown nodded in response. "I worked on it during every energon break I got just to make it perfect for our little sparkling." He was practically beaming with happiness at the moment. "And I designed it so that once we didn't need the crib, we could disassemble it and reassemble it into a bed. Pretty cool, huh?"

"Y-Yeah...." Knockout's voice cracked with emotion as tears welled up in his optics. He flung his arms around Breakdown again and choked on a sob of happiness. "Primus Breakdown.... you're so sweet! You're the best....!"

"Aw... Knocky don't cry.." Breakdown chuckled softly and gently hugged Knockout, rubbing his back to comfort him. "I'm glad you love it! I'm sure Wildbreak will love it too."

Knockout finally got ahold of himself, sniffing while he wiped his optics free of tears. He melted into Breakdown's warm embrace and sighed, his gaze landing on the crib again. "It's so perfect.... just like you.."

Breakdown smiled and held Knockout close, gently rocking on his pedes. He bent down to kiss his sparkmate's helm, nuzzling him softly.

He couldn't wait for Wildbreak to arrive.