Trouble on the horizon

A/N: I LIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! Well, kinda 😂 It's been so freakin' long since I've updated this book, I'm so sorry. My updating schedule has been all over the place lately, I can't organize it 😂
———

For the past few weeks, Knockout had been growing incredibly worried. It started with a rumor going around that a gladiator from Kaon was going to try and overthrow the Senate. Of course, everyone initially blew it off as attention-seeking behavior. They were wrong.

When the rumors became stories on the news, Knockout couldn't help but be concerned for his partner and sparkling's safety. They lived in Iacon, Cybertron's main hub! What were they going to do if this invasion actually happened? He had talked about it with Breakdown and, as things rapidly escalated, made a plan of escape if they had to flee the city.

However, nothing they did could prepare them for what happened next.

———

It was the beginning of another long shift for Knockout at the hospital and things were already growing tense. Everywhere he went, he heard nothing but conversations about the mech who called himself 'Megatron' and his Decepticons. Bots were scared that something bad was going to happen.

The day went on as usual, but Knockout was still on edge. Usually he'd be able to get lost in his work, but not today. His mind kept shifting to Breakdown and Wildbreak, just hoping and praying that they were safe. The deeper he went into thought, the more tense he got. Even the slightest sound made him jump.

That being said, he nearly had a spark attack when the alarm suddenly started blaring.

The room he was in was filled with a flashing red light for a split second before the power suddenly cut out, plunging him into complete darkness. He stood there for a moment, trembling in fear, before he grabbed a flashlight and decided to investigate.

Other nurses and medics were slowly making their way into the hallways, confused and terrified just like he was. He approached another medic so he could speak with him. "What happened to the power?"

"I don't know. Something tripped the alarm before the power got cut off. I sent someone down there to check it out." The medic replied, his frame illuminated by the flashlight in Knockout's hand.

"We have patients on life-support! They'll die if the power isn't turned back on!" A nurse exclaimed nearby, only adding to the clamor of voices in the hallway.

Knockout tried to calm his pounding spark so that he could reach Breakdown through their bond, but it wasn't working out. He couldn't focus. "Are the comns still up? Has someone contacted the officials?" He asked the nearest group, trying to stay calm so that hopefully everyone else would calm down.

They weren't able to answer him, however, because they were interrupted by gunshots echoing down the hallway. Screams soon filled the air as everyone scattered, darting into nearby exam rooms for cover. Knockout ran back into the exam room he was just in, slamming the door shut as blasts whizzed past. He could hear the cries of those poor, unfortunate souls that weren't able to escape in time, his spark sinking. What was he supposed to do?

A few seconds later, the gunshots and screaming stopped. It was eerily quiet. Too quiet. Knockout ducked behind the medberth, his spark nearly pounding out of his chassis. All he could think of was Breakdown and Wildbreak. He couldn't leave them. They needed him!

Knockout suddenly stiffened when he heard voices outside the door, which were followed by pedesteps. He bit down hard on his lip so he wouldn't scream when the door was kicked in, pressing himself into the corner in hopes that he wouldn't be noticed. The voices were louder now, almost right on top of him.

"Check the room. If anyone's in there, bring them to me."

"Got it."

Knockout heard the click of a gun and trembled harder, trying not to make a sound. They were going to find him. He was going to die. He was going to—

"Gotcha!" The Decepticon sneered, snatching Knockout by the shoulder with his cruel claws and slamming him against the wall. "We got ourselves another pretty medic, boys! Let's see if Big M likes him."

"Let go of me!" Knockout cried, trying to struggle out of the con's grip but it was too strong. He braced himself when he was thrown forwards, stumbling on his pedes. Another con grabbed him and shoved him out into the hallway, right before a gigantic, sinister-looking mech. Once he came to his senses, Knockout fearfully looked up and swallowed hard.

There, towering over him, was none other than Megatron himself.