Growing pains

-Four months later-

Now that Knockout was more heavily sparked, he decided to take his leave from work until his due date. Because he wasn't the only experienced medic there, his job could easily be filled while he took a well deserved 'vacation'. The only thing was that Breakdown still needed to work, which meant he didn't come home till later in the day. That left Knockout home alone most of the day.

He just couldn't keep himself busy. Between constantly being bored and Wildbreak's relentless kicking, he just gave up and decided to chill on the berth and watch something on his datapad.

———

Knockout must've stayed there all day because when he checked the time, it was already close to when Breakdown should be coming back home. Wildbreak had stopped kicking for the most part, seeming to calm down once Knockout decided to just chill on the berth all day.

He gently rubbed his swollen middle as he laid on his side, propping his head up on a pillow while watching a video on a datapad. He hated that he couldn't lay on his back because it put too much pressure on his insides and backstrut. His back was already killing him, so why risk making it worse? A little kick interrupted his thoughts and he glanced down, a small smile crossing his face.

"You better not start kicking, little one. I just got you to settle down." Knockout murmured, rubbing his middle again before returning his attention to the datapad. A few minutes later, Knockout heard the door open and he lifted his head. "Breakdown?"

"Yeah, I'm home." Came Breakdown's reply. The navy blue mech strode into the berthroom after putting his stuff down, a smile immediately coming to his face when he saw Knockout. He walked around to the side that he sparkmate was laying on and bent down, giving the red medic a kiss on the forehead. "Did you spend all day here?" He asked with an amused grin, reaching his hand down to rest it on Knockout's middle.

"Pretty much. I was bored and my back is killing me..." Knockout replied, sitting up slightly so he could kiss Breakdown's jaw. "You look tired."

Breakdown chuckled and nodded. "I am pretty beat." He said, scooting further onto the berth so he was next to Knockout. "You said your back was hurting you?"

"Yeah."

"Want me to give you a massage?"

"That would be amazing, love."

"Alright."

Knockout sat up slightly so Breakdown could massage his back, keeping one hand resting on his middle to keep Wildbreak calm for the moment. He sighed heavily when he felt Breakdown's gentle hands massaging his sore back plating, his entire frame relaxing almost instantly.

Breakdown continued massaging Knockout's back until his sparkmate was satisfied and pain-free. He reached over to grab an energon sweet from the nightstand and popped it into his mouth.

This was going to be a long night.

———

-2 months later-

Since it was fairly close to Knockout's due date, which could really be any day now, Breakdown took the week off to spend more time with him and make sure he was alright. Knockout usually spent his days reading or watching videos, sometimes getting up with Breakdown's help to go get something to snack on.

Wildbreak had been kicking more frequently and Knockout had experienced some Braxton Hicks contractions, which he had to reassure Breakdown that they weren't actual contractions. He knew how nervous his sparkmate was and he thought it was a little funny, but he knew Breakdown was terrified.

If he had to be honest, Knockout was terrified as well. This was their first sparkling and he wanted nothing to go wrong whatsoever. If something did happen, he might just lose his mind.

Right now, there was nothing to be scared about. At least that's what both soon-to-be parents thought. Knockout was cuddling with Breakdown on the berth while he watched a movie, laying on his side because it was probably the only comfortable position he could lay in with his swollen middle.

He was enjoying the movie until he felt his stomach tighten slightly. At first, he just brushed it off and kept watching. But after he felt it again a few minutes later, his medical side kicked into gear when he realized what was happening.

Breakdown felt Knockout's panic through the bond and immediately looked down at him, reaching his hand over to pause the movie. "Knocky? You okay?" He asked, gently placing his hand on Knockout's belly. He froze when he felt the soft metal tense up, his yellow optics widening slightly. "Please tell me it's just one of those other contractions again..."

Knockout shook his head, gritting his denta when he felt pain. "It's not... I know it.." He groaned, slowly sitting up and breathing heavily.

"Y-You mean... the sparkling's coming? Like.... for real this time?" Breakdown asked, struggling to keep his voice steady as he panicked internally. Knockout didn't have to answer that question for him, he felt his sparkmate's pain through the bond. "Oh Primus.... we need to go to the hospital!"

Knockout nodded slightly, biting his lip to distract himself from the pain he was feeling. He knew he was just in early labor and not active labor, but the contractions still hurt like hell.

Breakdown had a mini panic attack before gently scooping Knockout into his arms and quickly getting up from the berth. All he grabbed was his keys before heading out, nearly taking down the door in his urgency to get to the medical center.

———

"Are you sure this is a good thing to do?" Breakdown asked nervously, although he was aware that Knockout knew what he was doing. Though, he was still a little unsure since the red medic had only done this with patients, not himself.

Knockout was currently walking around the hospital room, his face taut with a pained expression. "Yes. Nothing is going to happen unless I get my energon to break so I can go into active labor..." he mumbled, nearly doubling over when another contraction hit him like a train. "Primus, I never thought I would need to be doing this myself...."

Breakdown started pacing slightly as he watched Knockout, anxiously waiting for something to happen. Something that would signal that progress was being made. The nurse still hadn't come back yet and she probably wouldn't until Knockout needed pain medication. He nearly jumped out of his own armor when he heard Knockout yelp, his head snapping up. He felt his stomach drop, yet at the same time his spark beat faster, when he saw energon trickling down Knockout's thighs.

He immediately rushed over and helped Knockout onto the medberth, trying to stay as calm as possible. Who knew witnessing the birth of your first sparkling could be so stressful? "Okay Knock.... just breathe for me. The nurse will be here soon with the pain meds...." he mumbled, nervously chewing on his lip as he held onto Knockout's hand.

Knockout only squeezed Breakdown's hand in a death grip and panted heavily, shutting his optics tightly. Now he knew what all those carriers he took care of were going through during this. He just hoped it would all be worth it in the end.

And now came the hard part...