your god is not here | 001

"your god is not here"ᛡᛡᛡ

ᛡᛡᛡ

IT WAS SEPTEMBER 21ST 1976, the students of Hogwarts school had officially all settled in and the first years had all memorized their weekly schedules. Dinner time had come and all of the students sat at their house tables and were chatting happily among their friends. 16-year-old Juliet Reed sat at the Slytherin table with her advanced potion-making book in front of her. She was already halfway through it, which placed her far above her classmates. Typical of her.

Halfway through dinner, the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, approach his podium and started to speak. "6th year students! Classroom practice for the N.E.W.T.'s start on October 1st, many teachers suggest that you start reading ahead now so that your studying will be much easier! 7th year students! We request that you not try and drop out of any of your N.E.W.T. level classes." His loud voice echoed throughout the grand hall, leaving students talking loudly in its wake.

Juliet rolled her eyes at everyone and went back to her book. She had already finished her dinner but didn't want to be the first one to leave in fear of being judged by her housemates even further. Plus, studying wasn't a terrible thing to do. Learning the material in advanced was good for mastering it in class later. "Look at you still being perfect." A voice said with slight humor. Narcissa Black had made her way over to Juliet without her realizing it. "I like living up to my own expectations and not my parents," Juliet's voice was a weird accent, with her life in both Russia and England blending into one tone. "What a great thing." Narcissa smiled at her happily and proceeded to finish her dinner.

Juliet smiled back slight and started, "How was your summer? I heard that you got stuck with Regulus and Sirius almost the entire break." Narcissa scowled and sighed. "I honestly don't know how those boys are related. You can tell they love each other, just hate the others ideas," The white-haired beauty explained. "I couldn't imagine." Juliet looked back down towards her book. "Anyways, how was your summer?" Narcissa questioned. "It was different. Quiet. My parents spent almost the entire bloody summer in Russia with my dad's siblings. It's weird having a house that big all to yourself for so long, you know?" Juliet tried to explain but didn't know how to. Narcissa Black could never understand. Not as the youngest poster-child for Pureblood loyalty from a large family.

Narcissa stares at Juliet with obvious pity. "I'm sorry, Jules," Narcissa tried comforting her. "Anyways, have you and Lucius talked to your parents about marriage yet?" Juliet tried to changes the subject. It worked. Narcissa's cheeks turned a bright shade of pink and she giggled awkwardly. "Well, that's part of the reason I spent so much time with my cousins. My parents were trying to arrange a marriage that both families benefit from... Now they are planning a wedding." Narcissa scratched the back of her neck. "A wedding!"Narcissa's head shot up at her and put her fingers to her lips, causing Juliet to look down at her hands in embarrassment. "They want you to get married? When? After we graduate?" Juliet looked back up her expectantly. "More like... Over Christmas break?" Narcissa told her more as a question than an answer.

Juliet practically gasped when Narcissa informed of her wedding date. "Christmas? Narcissa, you'll be just turning seventeen and then the next day getting married?" Juliet couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Do you want an invite? You're a Pureblood, my parents wouldn't mind!" Narcissa seemed excited to offer Juliet an invite. Juliet just scoffed and glanced away from her. "Yes... Yes, I do,"

ᛡᛡᛡ

Juliet had left dinner early. As soon as she saw the first people leave the hall exit, she jumped at what she saw as an opportunity and left. She was now in the library, looking for books she thought could be interesting. She found all kinds of things, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Mystery, and Muggle Classics, but none of them caught her eye anymore. Juliet has very vivid memories of her brother and herself sitting at the tables as he would read to her all the classic Grimm' tales, or stories of witches and wizards fighting for the right to marry Muggles, anything Kasper could get his hands on, he would read to her. But those days are gone.

The endless shelves filled with countless adventures and knowledge couldn't catch her attention. All except one. "la Belle et la Bête". It was the only Muggle Fairy Tale he brother had yet to read to her. Carefully, Juliet pulled the book off the shelf and examined it. It seemed to be in good condition, despite the print date on it. The girl nodded with content and walked over to a table. She sat down and stared at the cover. It made her slightly happy, but it also brought up a deep ache in chest. "They have the original Beauty and the Beast here?" A voice questioned behind her.

Juliet quickly turned around and looked at who the voice belonged to. It was a boy with with brown hair and soft caramel eyes. "I guess so..." Juliet answered his question and turned back around. "Do you... Do you mind if I sit with you?" The boy motioned towards the empty chair nervously. "I won't stop you," Juliet's slight Russian accent sounded much stronger when she spoke to him. "Good... Great, thank you." The boy say down and fiddled with his fingers. Juliet glances over at his hands. They were covered in scars. Some were more faded but the others looked brand new.

"I'm Remus by the way, Remus Lupin," Remus introduced himself to her with a slight smile. "I know who you are. Everyone does." Juliet looked up from his hands to his face. His face was also scarred. They weren't as bad as his hands, but he had a few noticeable ones if you paid close attention. "Really? Is my reputation that bad?" Remus chuckled nervously. "I'm Juliet Reed." Juliet stuck out her hand for Remus to shake. He took her hand and gripped it almost as light as a feather, like she would break it terrible ways if he grab her hand to tight. "Why did you come over here?" Juliet made her question clear. She wasn't going to sugarcoat it.

Remus looked shocked at her question and fumbled with his excuse. "My friends noticed me looking in your direction and we're gonna make a scene if I come over here," He told her honestly. "Marauders." Juliet rolled he eyes at his friends when she turned around and saw them smiling and giving thumbs up towards the pair. "Well, it was nice to meet you, Juliet? Can I call you Juliet? Do you like, go by a nickname or something?" Juliet could feel his anxiety as he kept going. "Just Juliet. Juliet is fine." The girl put on a fake smile, and thought he didn't notice. "Alright, Just Juliet, goodnight, thank you from saving me temporarily from my friends." Remus walked away from her and back to his friends.

They all laughed and slightly pushed each other. The three other boys making fun of Remus. Juliet sighed and looked back to her book, starting it from page 1.

ᛡᛡᛡ

Juliet eventually made her way to the dungeons and to the Slytherin dorm rooms. She shared a dorm with Narcissa Black, Maria Greengrass, and a pureblood named Diane Jacobs. Her trunk was already on her bed. Juliet pulled the hair tie out of her hair and her ponytail fell. "I was wondering when you'd find your way back," Maria said more as a statement. "I may be here physically, but mentally I am so far gone I think my mental state has taken a trip to China." Juliet opened her trunk and pulled out an oversized shirt and a pair of grey shorts.

Walking into their shared bathroom, Juliet stared at her reflection. She looked exhausted. The bags under her eyes were getting darker than ever and her eyes looked almost dead. "Perfect," Juliet mumbled to herself as she changed, annoyed by her appearance.

"I look dead." A frown appeared on her lips.