Hazel Swann

Hello, my name is Hazel Swann, the governors' daughter. I have a younger sister called Elizabeth. My best friend is Will Turner, who my sister is madly in love with, though she won't tell him, because she's so nervous he doesn't return her affection, even though it's blatantly obvious to everyone else that he does, but I wasn't going to tell him, Elizabeth needed to do this herself.
   I lived in Port Royal, and I hated it, it was so boring, nothing to do, no adventure. I would never leave though, I loved my family and had no where else to go, Elizabeth would always stay here, she was such a posh, sophisticated person, though I loved her to bits, I was much less posh, which was probably why Elizabeth was always Fathers' favourite; he still loved me though, me and Elizabeth meant everything to him.

  It was one early morning in Port Royal. I could hear the sweet chirping of the birds that flew outside. I didn't want to wake up until I heard a harsh knock on the door.

  "Hazel?" I heard my Fathers voice call from behind the door.
  I stood up and rubbed my eyes, stretching.

  "Yes?" I answered.
  "Are you decent?"
  "Yes!" I called before he opened the doors to him and a few maids walked in and opened the curtains, making me slam my eyes shut in an excess of light.
   "Still abed at this hour? Even worse than Elizabeth!" he exclaimed, shaking his head.
  "Why? When did she wake up, and what's the deal with being up so early anyway?" I questioned, though I was aware that it sounded more like an interrogation.
  "You should act more proper, people like you should wake up early, read, play music and get an education..."
  "What if I don't want to wake up early and act like a doll for the rest of my life, what if I want to live!?"
  "Hazel!" he gasped.
  "What? Father I am not  Elizabeth and I never will be,"
  "I never said you were Hazel, I just came to give you a gift," he spoke calmly.

  I felt bad for yelling now, I knew that my Father loved me and it wasn't his fault, I was expected to be proper and it was my fault that I wasn't.

  "What's the occasion?" I asked, aware that my Father probably had a reason for this.
  "A Father does not need to have an occasion to dote upon his first daughter, Elizabeth asked the same question. However, I had hoped you'd wear it to the ceremony this afternoon,"
  I took the dress and went behind my cover with the maids, who began to put it on.

  They tightened the corset and I took a sharp inhale. I couldn't breath, why would anyone wear this?! I can't breath, it's far too tight, why was it even necessary?

  "WHAT IS THIS!?" I gasped for air.
  "I heard it's the latest fashion in London, how's it coming? It looks lovely on Elizabeth,"
         "When-did-Elizabeth-learn-not-to-breath?" I tried to speak, but was gasping for air.
  "Is it alright?" he asked, ignoring my obviously rude question.
  "Not really, when can I get it off?" I asked, emerging from behind the cover, wearing the new dress.
  It was pretty, even if I hated dresses, but I could barely move, and definitely couldn't breath.

"You look beautiful my darling," Father spoke.
  I gave a fake smile as to please him, he had after all bought a gift, and it must've been somewhat expensive.
  "What ceremony by the way?" I asked.
  "Commodore Norringtons promotion," he smiled.
  "Knew it," I internally face palmed.
  "He fancies you you know," he revealed as we walked downstairs side by side.
  "What? I thought he fancies Elizabeth," I gasped. He always acted different around her, and had spent much more time with her than me.
  "No no, definitely you," he chuckled.
  As good of a man Norrinton was, I was not going to marry him, no way.

  I'm not one for marriage, and especially not to such a boring man. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. I am never going to get married to a man like him. I'm never going to enjoy living like this, with such a boring life.

  When me and Father reached the bottom of the stairs, I saw Elizabeth taking to Will. I smirked at her obvious flirting.

  "Oh, morning Hazel," she smiled at me.
  "Morning, how's the dress going?" I asked, looking down at her dress which was almost identical to mine, but mine was darker, which went with my dark brown hair.
  "It's beautiful, but I can barely breath," she answered and I nodded in agreement.
  "Hello Will," I smiled. He was my best friend, so I knew him well, but Elizabeth, as much as she was in love with him, didn't really know him at all. She was fascinated by him, but always to afraid to talk to him, I found it quite amusing.
  "Morning Hazel, how are you?" he smiled.
  "Tired, and I can't breath very well, but I'll be alright I guess," I laughed and he smiled at me.

  "Well we had best be going girls," Father began, "Mister Turner," Father bowed as we made our way to the carriage.
  Me and Elizabeth sat in the back, she fanned herself and I slouched against the seat, staring out of the window.

  "When are you going to care about what others think of you?" Elizabeth asked. She didn't mean it badly, she just wanted the best for me.

  "Never, I can't be bothered and quite frankly I don't care, apparently Norrinton has a thing for me anyway, so what does it matter?"

  "Norrinton? That's wonderful Hazel! He's a fine man, and I'm happy for you," she beamed.
  "Yes but would I be happy with him? You know how different we are, and you know how stubborn I can be, and how 'adventurous' I like to think I am," I laughed.
  She nodded and whispered to me.
  "Oh yes, I know how much you love to research pirates and their code, and their ships, and their..."
  "That's educational Elizabeth," I argued.
  "Do enlighten me Hazel," she raised an eyebrow.
  "Alright, but you're the one with a bloody medallion!"
  "To save Will! He was a pirate,"
  "Oh yes, your one true love," I groaned.
  "Keep your voice down, Father would never approve," she lectured.
  "Father would do anything to make you happy, your 'Daddys girl' after all," I sighed.
  "Hazel! If you are so jealous of me owning a medallion, then have it yourself!" she spoke, taking it off and passing if to me. I was surprised to say the least.

  "Why are you wearing it?" I scolded, what a stupid thing to do.
  "I tried it on this morning and Father came in, so I had to hide it and I didn't have time to take it off," she muttered.

  Suddenly the carriage stopped, I quickly put it on begrudgingly, annoyed at Elizabeth for taking it in the first place, if I got caught with this I was dead.
  I stuffed it down my dress as Father opened the door.

  I took Fathers hand and stepped outside, grabbing Elizabeths fan as I couldn't breath still.
  I glared at her and leaned to her ear.

  "If anyone finds this bloody medallion of yours on me I am selling you out,"
  "Hazel!" she frowned.
  "What are you two ladies arguing about now? I want you both to be proper, Hazel - I'm talking to you mainly," he warned.
  "Fine," I mumbled.
  "Now, enjoy the ceremony, and Hazel, perhaps you should talk to Norrington," he winked.

  I huffed and walked off to my place, fanning myself and trying to fix my hat in a way to hide my face from the heat.

   I heard the drums and trumpets begin as the soldiers walked in. I watched as the ceremony began.

  After what felt like hours of standing there and hearing the monotonous banging of the drums. My feet began to ache as I shifted from one to another, huffing, just wanting to get out of that bloody dress.

  When the ceremony ended, I went up to the fort wall to get more open air and privacy.

  I looked out on the ocean, it was so peaceful and it made me smile. I could still faintly hear the violins playing the same, mundane songs that they always do. I sighed and fixed my eyes back on the ocean.

  It was getting harder and harder to breath every second. I only had to last a few more hours, before I could rip it of and destroy it out of sheer spite. What was I on about, it's a flipping corset.
  Just breath deep and hope for the best.