Far Better Company

When I climbed out of the water I gasped for my breath, I swam the whole way under. Jack was following closely behind me and Elizabeth was already on the island, rinsing out her dress, or rather undergarments. Jack untied his hands and put his pistol in his belt.

  He looked back at the Pearl longingly.

  "That's the second time I've had to watch that man sail away with my ship," he said and Elizabeth couldn't care less for the situation. I think she still hated him. I put my hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

  "We'll get her back Jack," I smiled and he looked down at me fondly.

  "Aye, we will," and with that he walked up the sand.

  "Wait!" Elizabeth called, and I followed them both, "But you were marooned on this island before weren't you so we can escape in the same way you did then!"

  "To what point and purpose young Missy? The Black Pearl is gone, and unless either of you have a lot of sails hidden in that bodice, unlikely for you..." he directed toward Elizabeth, grinning at me, "young Mr Turner will be dead long before you reach him," he explained.

  He continued to walk over to a tree, knocking on it four times.

  "But you're Captain Jack Sparrow!"

  "Yes, as he never fails to remind us," I joked. He raised an eyebrow and smirked at me, before taking a big, goofy step, making me laugh a little.

  "Either way....You vanished from under the eyes of seven agents of the East India Trading Company! You sacked Nassau port without even firing a shot! Are you the pirate I've read about or not?"

  I whistled.

  "Ooh, looks who's been scolding me all these years for researching pirates when really they've been reading all about Captain Jack Sparrow?"

  Elizabeth glared at me and Jack looked from between us.

  "How did you escape last time" she asked more calmly with a viscous undertone. I knew that Jack wouldn't want to tell her so I walked in between them.

  "Does it matter? Elizabeth, he's right, we can't do anything right now, so we should just sit down and preserve our energy,"

  "No, if he escaped before, we can escape now!" she argued. I could tell she wasn't going to drop this easily.

  "Elizabeth," I warned.

  "It's fine love, last time, I was here a grand total of three days, alright Elizabeth? The rum runners used this island as a cache, they came by and I was able to barter passage off, and by the looks of things, they've long been out of business, probably 'ave your bloody friend Norrington to thank for that!" he explained, opening up a secret bunker, full of food and rum.

  Norrington! I forgot about him. I wasn't going to marry him. I didn't want to think about him. In fact, I never wanted to go back to Port Royal again! Elizabeth turned to me angrily.

  "You knew this?"

  "Yes, and what does it matter, we have food, drink, shade, well survive a month or so, so let's just save our energy as I said,"

  "You call rum a drink,"

  "Yes Elizabeth, I do, it is a liquid that you consume and it quenches your thirst, I'd say that's a fairly good drink, and bonus, it even tastes quite nice," I argued and she just sighed in disbelief.

  "You're defending him, after everything he's done? He threatened you, he was going to trade Will for a ship!" she now yelled. I got closer in her face.