Chapter 3

Darya didn't get much sleep the rest of the night.  The expression on Harry's face when she blurted out her second reason for coming to London had made her stop breathing for a moment. He'd been furious to a degree beyond what she ever could have imagined and no matter how hard she tried, she could not push the image of his anger out her mind long enough to fall back to sleep.

So much for honesty, she thought. Telling the truth hadn't served her well at all. Should she have kept silent?  Darya sighed. No, she had to tell the truth.  Mother Superior had drummed that into her.

Her thoughts immediately returned to Harry's anger.  How could a man with such an adorable dimple in his cheek have eyes that could be so cold? Harry could be dangerous when his temper was riled. She wished his father had mentioned that important fact to her before she had thoroughly embarrassed herself and completely infuriated Harry.

She dreaded seeing him again. She took her time getting dressed.  Elira assisted her. The maid kept up a constant chatter while she brushed Darya's hair. She wanted to know all the details of her princess's day. Was she going out? Did she want Elira to accompany her? Darya answered her questions as best she could.

"We may have to find other lodging after today," she remarked. "I will share my plans with you as soon as I've made them, Elira."

The maid finished buttoning the back of Darya's dress just as a knock sounded at the door.

Niall requested the princess join his employer in the salon as soon as possible.

Darya didn't think it would be a good idea to keep him waiting. There wasn't time to braid her hair, and she didn't want the bother anyway.  She dismissed Elira, told Niall she would be down in a moment, and then hurried to her luggage, pulling out the notecard her guardian had given her. She took a deep breath, straightened her shoulders, and left the room.

She was ready to take on the dragon. Harry was waiting for her in the salon. He stood in front of the fireplace, facing the entrance to the room, with his hands clasped behind his back. She was relieved to see he wasn't scowling anymore. He looked only mildly irritated now.

She stood in the doorway, waiting for him to invite her to join him.  He didn't say a word, simply stood there staring at her. She thought he might be trying to get his thoughts under control.  Or his temper. She could feel herself blushing under his close scrutiny, then realized she was being just as rude scrutinizing him.

It was difficult not to stare at him. He was so attractive.  He had a hard, fit body. He was dressed in light brown riding pants, polished high brown boots, and a crisp white shirt.  His personality came through in the way he dressed, she decided, because Harry had left the top buttons of his shirt undone and he wasn't wearing one of those awful cravats. He was clearly a bit of a rebel living in a conservative society.  His hair wasn't at all fashionable.  It was quite long, although she couldn't tell the exact length because he had it tied at the base of his neck. Harry was definitely an independent man. He was tall, muscular in both shoulders and thighs. He was wonderfully handsome, yes, but weary looking too.  What saved him from being unapproachable, she decided, was the warmth of his smile when he was amused.

He was not amused now.

"Come in and sit down, Darya.  We have to talk."

"Certainly," she immediately replied.

Niall suddenly appeared at her side. He took hold of her elbow to assist her across the room. "That isn't necessary," Harry called out. "Darya can walk without assistance."

"But she's a princess," Niall huffed at his employer.  "We must show her every courtesy."

Harry's glare told the butler to stop his comments. Niall reluctantly let go of Darya.