Chapter 14

He infuriated her. They had their first argument late that night. Darya had already gone to bed, but she couldn't sleep, so she worked on the list of duties she wanted to accomplish the following day. She was in her own bedroom, of course, because that was where Niall had told her Harry wanted her to sleep, and she was desperately trying not to become upset with her husband because he happened to be such an unfeeling clout. He couldn't help the way he was, could he? Their marriage wasn't a love match either, and if Harry wanted to sleep apart from her, she shouldn't take exception. She did, though. She felt vulnerable and frightened. She couldn't understand why she would be plagued by either emotion.

She tried to understand what was happening to her. She decided she was feeling so insecure because Harry had put her in a much weaker bargaining position. Then she shook her head over that fanciful thought. What did she have to bargain? Her husband had rejected everything she had to give.

Heaven help her, she was beginning to feel sorry for herself. Mother Superior, in one of her daily lectures, had told her that men and women often wanted things they could never have. Envy, she explained, soon turned into jealousy, and once the tentacles of that sinful emotion had taken hold, misery soon followed. Jealousy burned, consumed, until there wasn't room for joy or love or happiness of any sort.

"But I'm not jealous," she whispered to herself. She was envious, though, and let out a little worried sigh over that admission. She was already envious of Harry's brother's happy marriage, and, Lord, did that mean she would soon turn into a jealous shrew and be miserable for the rest of her days?

Marriage, she decided, was a complicated business.

Harry didn't have time for it. He had disappeared into his study directly after dinner to work on his accounts. Having a wife wasn't going to change his habits. He was building an empire, and no one, especially an unwanted bride, was going to interfere with his plans. Harry hadn't had to sit her down and explain his views to her. His actions spoke for him.

Darya wasn't upset by his attitude. In truth, she approved of his dedication. She didn't have any doubts, either. Harry would achieve any goal he set. He was strong, terribly clever, and wonderfully disciplined.

She didn't have any intention of getting in his way. She wouldn't distract him, either. The last thing Harry needed was a clinging wife. Still... at night, when the work was done, she wished he wanted to be with her then. It would be nice to fall asleep in his arms, to feel him pressed against her during the dark hours of the night. She liked the way he touched her, kissed her...

She let out a groan. She was never going to be able to concentrate on her lists if she didn't quit daydreaming about her husband. She shook herself out of her daze and forced herself back to work.

It was almost midnight when Harry walked into her room through the connecting doorway to his own chamber. He wore only a pair of black pants, but he had those stripped off before he reached the side of the bed.

He was very casual about his nudity. She tried to be casual about it, too. "Have you finished working on your accounts?"

She asked the bed that question. Color flooded her face and her voice sounded as though she were being strangled.

Harry grinned. "Yes," he answered. "I'm completely caught up now."

"Caught up on what?"

He tried not to laugh. "Darya, there isn't anything to be embarrassed about."

"I'm not embarrassed."

She was actually able to look directly into his eyes when she told that blatant lie. Harry thought it was an improvement. He pulled the covers back and got into bed. She hurried to move her papers out of his way.