Chapter 11

Sir Roberts had just finished greeting everyone when Eleanor and Darya walked into the salon. The director turned to both ladies. He knew Eleanor and after telling her how wonderful it was to see her again, he turned his full attention to Darya.

"Henry told me the good news," he said, using the Duke's given name. The two men had known each other for a long time. Sir Roberts smiled at Darya. "Congratulations, Princess. You've chosen a fine man."

Darya forced a smile. She thanked the director, agreed Harry was indeed a fine man, and asked him if he would be attending the wedding.

"Yes," Sir Roberts replied. "I wouldn't miss it. It's a pity it has to be kept a secret, but you understand well enough the reason. Come and sit down now. I've some information you'll be interested in hearing."

Sir Roberts ushered her over to one of the settees. Eleanor and Louis were seated across from her, and the Duke and Duchess took the third settee.

Harry stood alone in front of the hearth. He wasn't paying any attention to the director or his family. His back was turned to the group and he was intently studying the miniature castle on the mantle. Darya watched Harry as he lifted the object to get a better look at it. The expression on his face was masked and she wondered what he was thinking.

The Duchess was explaining her plans for the wedding. She was determined to make the intimate affair as lovely as possible. She was interrupted by her husband when he called out to Harry.

"Be careful with that, son. It's priceless to me."

Harry nodded but he didn't turn around. He had just noticed the tiny drawbridge latched with a delicate chain. "This really is a piece of craftsmanship," he remarked as he gently pried the drawbridge away from the hook. The door immediately dropped down. Harry lifted the castle higher so that he could look inside.

Darya saw the surprised look in his eyes. He grinned. She felt a smile form on her own face then, for Harry had just figured out the bit of trickery her father had played on his friend so many years ago.

Harry turned to Louis and motioned to him with a quick tilt of his head. Louis stood up and walked over to the mantle. Harry didn't say a word to his brother. He simply handed him the castle, then turned and walked over to sit next to Darya.

The Duchess had only just warmed to her topic of the wedding plans. Both her husband and the director were patiently listening to her.

Louis suddenly let out a hoot of laughter, which drew everyone's attention.

Louis turned to Darya. "Did you know about this?"

She nodded. "My mother told me the story."

"Later, when you're alone with Father, would you show him?" Louis asked.

"Yes, of course."

"Put that down," his father ordered. "It makes me nervous to see it handled. Do you have any idea of its value, Louis?"

His son laughed. "Yes, Father. I understand its value." He closed the drawbridge and put the castle back where it belonged.

"Mother, I don't believe Sir Roberts is interested in your plans for the wedding," Harry said. "He's been polite long enough. Let him get to his reason for calling."

Victoria turned to the director. "Were you just being polite?"

"Of course he was, Victoria," her husband told her, softening his bluntness by patting his wife's hand affectionately.

Louis had returned to his seat next to his wife. He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close to his side.

Darya noticed that both her guardian and his eldest son were very open in showing their affection for their wives. Louis was unconsciously stroking his wife's arm and Uncle Henry hadn't let go of his wife's hand. Darya envied the loving couples. She knew it had been a true love match between her guardian and his wife, and from the way Eleanor and Louis looked at each other, she assumed they had also fallen in love before they were married.