Chapter 10

Harry's father wanted to be the one to break the good news to Darya. Harry wouldn't let him. He thought he should be the one to tell her what had been decided.

"May I offer a word of advice, brother?" Louis asked.

Harry nodded and Louis continued. "I don't believe you should tell her anything..."

Their father interrupted. "She'll have to know, Louis."

His son smiled. "Yes, of course she'll have to know," he agreed. "However, from my rather limited experience with women, I've learned that they don't like being told anything. Harry should ask her to marry him."

"Do it at the dinner table then," his father suggested.

Harry smiled. "I'll decide when and where," he announced.

"Will you promise me you'll have it settled before the night is over?" his father demanded. "I can't say a word until you've asked. And Victoria will have to start work on the arrangements."

"Mother has already seen to everything," Harry replied.

His father stood up and rubbed his hands together. "I can't tell you how pleased I am, and I'm certain Darya is going to be thrilled."

Their father was looking so pleased with himself that neither Harry nor Louis reminded him that less than an hour ago he'd been against a marriage between his ward and his son. He'd believed they were completely unsuited to each other.

Louis wanted to have a private discussion with Harry, but their mother came bustling into the salon, demanding everyone's attention.

The Duchess of Lancastershire was a petite woman with auburn curls and hazel-coloured eyes. Her husband and sons towered over her. The years had been very kind to the lovely woman. Her skin was still smooth, and she had only a hint of gray hair.

Victoria was actually Louis' stepmother, but no one paid any attention to that distinction. She had raised him as one of her own, having come into his life at such an early age. Louis couldn't remember his birth mother. Victoria was the only mother he had ever known.

"Eleanor and Darya will be down in just a moment. Do come into the dining room. Supper will get cold. Boys, give your mother a kiss. Heavens, you've lost some weight Louis, haven't you? Harry dear, how is your leg? Is it paining you?"

Her sons understood that their mother didn't really expect answers to her questions. They knew she liked to coddle them, despite the fact that they were full grown men. They both smiled at her with affection and allowed her to dote upon them as she liked.

Victoria was the only one who dared inquire about Harry's leg. Everyone else understood they were to ignore the affliction.

"Harry, Princess Darya is the most delightful young woman."

Eleanor made this remark as she strolled into the salon. She paused on her way to her husband's side to give her father-in-law a kiss in greeting, then stopped again to kiss Harry's cheek before joining Louis.

"Are you enchanted by Darya, Dolphin?" she asked Harry, using the nickname he'd earned from his days on the seas.

"Where is she?" Harry asked.

"In your father's library," Eleanor answered. Her blue eyes sparkled in amusement. "She caught sight of all his books and almost danced with joy. When I left her, she was looking through his journal on the latest shipping innovations."

Victoria immediately turned to the butler and requested that he go upstairs and tell Darya dinner was waiting.

Eleanor linked her arm through her husband's. She was dying to ask him what had been decided at the family conference but couldn't because Harry and their parents were standing so close.