Chapter 20

Three months had passed since Martin's death, and Darya still thought about the horrible man at least once a day. Mother Superior had taught her to pray for the souls of sinners because they needed prayers far more than saints did, but Darya couldn't quite make herself pray for Martin yet. She tried to put the horror of that night behind her. She never wanted to forget Elizabeth, though, and did say a prayer for her soul every night before she went to bed. She prayed for Constance, too. She wanted to believe that both women were now at peace in heaven.

Liam and Sophia were preparing for their journey back to their island home. Louis had invited Darya and Harry over to their town house for a farewell dinner with the rest of the family. The food was elegant but also quite rich, and Eleanor turned green by the time the second course was served. She suddenly bolted from the table and ran out of the dining room. Louis didn't show much sympathy over his wife's obvious distress. He actually grinned with male arrogance.

It wasn't like Louis to be so insensitive, and when Darya asked him why he wasn't a bit more concerned about his wife's health, his grin widened into a full-fledged smile. Eleanor, he explained, was pregnant again, and while she was thrilled over her condition, she disliked her husband hovering over her while she went through the ritualistic morning and evening sickness.

There was a good deal of pounding done to Louis's shoulders. Toasts were given as well, and then Liam and Harry, with their wives at their sides, went into the salon.

Sophia was called upstairs by Simon to feed her impatient daughter. Darya sat next to her husband and listened to the talk of business between the partners. The topic of a large deposit recently made into the company's banking account came up. Liam wanted to know where in hell the money had come from. Harry was surprised by the anger in his friend's tone of voice. Darya understood Liam's reaction. She knew he believed Harry had gone back to work for the director.

Harry explained Darya's feelings about her inheritance and how she had felt slighted because they had been willing to use Sophia's money but not hers.

"The entry is the exact amount Sophia would have received if our greedy ruler hadn't decided to keep it for himself," Harry told him.

Liam shook his head. "Darya, your gift for Joanna was quite enough," he argued. He glanced up to look at the beautiful golden replica of his favorite ship, the Emerald, sitting in the center of the mantel.

Harry also looked up at the treasure. He smiled because Liam had placed the gift there. "It is beautiful, isn't it?" 

"You can quit lusting after it," Liam countered with a grin. "We're taking it home with us."

"I'm pleased you like it," Darya said. She turned to her husband to offer the suggestion that she ask the craftsman to fashion another ship for him, but Liam interrupted her thought when he told her neither he nor Harry needed any money from her inheritance now. They were financially sound enough.

"Put the money into the town house Harry purchased for you," he suggested.

She shook her head. "My husband used the money he received from the insurance contract for a hefty payment, Liam, and the castle needs very little work. I wish you could see the inside before you leave. It's only a block away from our rental and it's so large and roomy."

Harry turned his attention back from the ship to look at his wife. "It isn't a castle, sweetheart."

"Oh, but it is," she argued. "It's our home, Harry, and therefore our castle."

He couldn't fault that confusing bit of logic. "So I now have two castles," he said with a laugh. "And a princess."

He stretched his legs out and put his arm around his wife. Liam wanted to continue to argue about the money, but it didn't take him long to realize Darya wasn't going to bend on the issue.