09. Skin.

“You have been missing your classes, Mr.  Malfoy.” The old witch in front of Draco regarded him with clear disinterest, her long fingers positioning her glasses properly on the bridge of her nose, “Any excuse for that or shall I just so blatantly deduct a handful amounts from Slytherin?” Draco rolled his eyes, well, in his mind to not anger the old woman any further.

“I was not feeling well, Professor.” He stretched the word. Come to think of it, it wasn’t actually a lie— he indeed had been feeling like utter shit since that godforsaken game he had been told to monitor with Granger. Not only was his fucking head spinning like it had been hammered, but his entire body felt like it was on fire; his skin aching all the time for Merlin knew what reason.

And let us not forget about that searing burn that visited him ever so often like a fast friend.

“Really?” McGonagall eyed him with suspicion, her tone laced with something Draco couldn’t quite put a finger on— it wasn’t concern, Draco noted, the old hag could never possibly feel something like that for him. But then, it clicked to him, it was distrust; of course she didn’t trust the ex-deatheater. McGonagall regarded him a minute or two, Draco could feel himself getting uncomfortable with every passing minute the more she stared at his figure.

She wasn’t buying it, he realized, not even when Draco nodded his head slowly to confirm his earlier words. Feeling the need to say something to save his sorry arse, Draco sighed, “It’s true Professor,” He started his placid lie, “Ever since that whole ordeal with—“ He abruptly stopped and gathered himself, “With Miss Granger, I haven’t been able to leave the dorm very much. I have indeed been missing classes because I had a talk with my parents after that kiss cam fiasco and they told me to stay out of sight until the talk died down, they can’t have people talking bad about us, losers after the war or not, we are still purebloods and my father regards that with high respect. All this just exhausted me, that’s why I was unable to attend classes.  I should not have to explain this all about blood purity to you, Professor.” It came so easily that even Draco himself was surprised. Lying had always been his forte, his piece of cake and cup of tea and he never missed an opportunity to show just that.

When McGonagall’s mouth formed a perfect ‘o’, he knew he had her. He smirked to himself. “I didn’t know the Malfoys still treated blood purity as an important thing.” She shook her head a little. The argument seemed sensible enough to McGonagall, thought Draco, because in a minute she was nodding at him, giving him that pitiful look he had always hated. “One would think the war would have changed the Malfoy family’s prejudices, oh how wrong one might be.” Draco didn’t speak a word. It was far from anything like he had spoken— truth was, the Malfoy family was treated like dirt and it was nothing that could be done to even hold their worthless opinions.

“I will not deduct any points from Slytherin, Mr. Malfoy, given your hearty explanation.” Draco almost rolled his eyes, to hell with the house that had given him fake friends, he couldn’t give less of a fuck. It was his reputation that had mattered him the most, like it always had. Draco was ready to walk out of the old cow’s office but her stern voice stopped him dead in his tracks.

“However you have missed a significant amount of schoolwork, almost half a month of classes.” More like half a month of Granger and her addicting kisses, Draco almost corrected the woman but then decided against it; after all, he had been the one to propose that whatever happened between them stayed between the four walls of the head dorm they shared, absolutely no one else could know about it. “What I am trying to say is that, since you have missed so much work with the midterms approaching in due time, I’ll have to pair you up with a fellow student to teach you all the things you have missed, which, may I add, are quite a few.” Draco could swear McGonagall passed him a sadistic smile, he didn’t like how this conversation was going. “I am afraid I would have to pair you with Miss Granger so th—” but he was not listening to her anymore, he watched her mouth open and close, speaking sharply but he just couldn’t bring himself to hear any of the stuff she was saying.