August 12th 2014

"He said?!" Willow said almost choking on her food. We sit at the dining table the next day for breakfast, just Willow, Beau and I. I know I shouldn't be telling Beau but I feel he is the second most comfortable person to talk to. Willow being first.

"I know." I said scraping my food around the plate. This morning's breakfast was cold baked beans and toast.

"Then you said?!" Beau said raising his eyebrows.

"I know." I said; they weren't making me feel better.

"Man, he's gotta be cut about that." Beau said leaning back and chuckling.

"Macintosh you're not helping." Willow said slapping his arm. "So what does this mean?" she asked.

"Guys, he didn't confess his love for me. Nothing is going to happen." I laugh, trying to cover up how uncomfortable I am talking about this.

"Have you talked to him yet?" Beau asked.

"You two are the only people I've talked to since it happened." I said. Beau put his hands to his heart and smiled aggressively.

"Oh hun, I'm so flattered." He said in a high pitch voice. Willow and I laughed as he cleared his throat and stood. "I have to go on guard duty. See you later." He said to Willow. She nodded and smiled at me. I raised my eyebrows but she looked away. "See you Alex." He said walking out of the room.

+++

I go around the corner and bump into someone; sending me flying backwards and onto my butt. The new girl - Nicola - stands there unharmed. She walks up to me and holds out a hand; which I take and she pulls me up.

"Sorry. I'm clumsy." She says laughing. I have to squint at her. This can't be. It's not human. The other day I didn't really get a good look at her - but now that I do - she is probably one of the most perfect human beings on this planet. She has blonde hair that sits in ringlets and bright green eyes. Her eyelashes touch her perfectly shaped eyebrows and her nose takes up less than 2 and a half centimetres of her face. "My name is Nikki." She adds.

"My - my..." I am literally speechless about this girl. I bet she has won pageants and beauty contests and probably got prom queen with the quarterback.

"You're Alex." She said. Her voice was sweet and pure. "Yeah, you're all people talk about around here." I raised my eyebrows. "All good things." I can't believe I thought Bennett was perfect.

"Um -"

"Hey, I know I only have been talking to you for a minute but can I ask you a personal question?" she asked. I nodded, furrowing my brow.

"You know, Grayson, do you know his - well - relationship status?" she asked. My eyes grew wide and turned down to look at the floor. Wrong person to ask honey. I may as well tell her he is single; I don't want him or anything. Just tell her the truth.

"He's - He's -"

"He's?" she asked smiling.

"Gay." I blurted out. She blinked at me, not comprehending what I said.

"Gay?"

"So gay - so - so gay." I said making the lie worse. She laughed and crossed her arms.

"Would've never have guessed that." She said.

"Me either, then one day, Beau was out the backyard, shirt off and he said - he said check out those abs, and poof, apparently he likes men." I said internally freaking out.

"Well, thanks for the tip. Would've been awkward if I started to flirt with him." she said laughing. I laughed too - but fakely.

"Super duper embarrassing." I said.

"Well, see you." She said tapping me on the arm and walking around me. Once she was out of sight I let myself breathe.

"What did I just do?" I said. I laughed, but this time it was at me. "What did I just do?" I giggled.

'What's so funny?" Willow said coming around the corner.

"Nikki - she just asked me about Grey's relationship status." I said cackling.

"And?" Willow said not getting it.

"I said he was gay!" I laughed. She raised her eyebrows.

"You didn't?" she asked.

"Oh I did. And I added that he liked Beau's abs." I said. I gripped my tummy, I was only just realising how mad he will be when Nikki tells him.

"You're mental. Why did you do that?" she said.

"I - I just didn't like the idea of her flirting with him and him flirting back." I said. She smiled and I rolled my eyes. "No -"

"You love him." she said pinching my sides.

"No I don't."

"Love is in the air." She sang as she walked backwards away from me.

"Stop."

"Love is in the air." She echoed.

"Be quiet."

"Every sight and every sound." She called as she turned into her bedroom.