Chapter Two

There was still a layer of mist hanging over the streets when Nimah rode out to the docks. Despite the early hour, most of the fishermen and tradesmen would be departing by the time she got there. Fortunately, she wasn't looking anyone like that. She was looking for a ship builder. She didn't have to look too hard. Solomon Obote was an easy man to spot in a crowd: tall, broad-shouldered, with skin a few shades darker than hers and scars peering out from underneath his shirt collar. She had yet to ask him about the scars. She had a feeling he wouldn't tell her once she did. He wasn't the talkative sort, Solomon. For example:

"Solomon, my fine carpenter friend, how are you this day?"

What she got in response was a long, beleaguered sigh. "Sudani." Solomon didn't look up from his tools. "What do you want?"

He was talking to her. That was an encouraging sign. "It's not about what I want. It's about what I can do for you." She looked around his workplace. It looked like he was working on the wheel. "Not a lot happening in the world of shipbuilding, is there?"

"Why do you care?"

"Because I might have a potential job for you."

Now he looked at her, his face a mask of resignation and irritation. "Generous of you. What kind of job?"

"I've got some travelers trying to get into the Wilds..." He got up and started walking away. "Oh, come on, you haven't heard the rest of it!"

"No."

"Solomon..." She went after him. "This is..."

"Find someone else."

"I know, it's dangerous, I know last time was...well, last time didn't go according to plan..."

"I almost lost a hand and you almost fell off a waterfall."

"...but things will be different this time! Anyway, it's worth the risk. It's not about..." She had to speed up to catch up to him. "...it's not just about the money this time. We'd be doing a vital service to one of the Kingdoms."

He glanced her way briefly. "I don't count helping some idiot scholar take a good look at things he shouldn't has a vital service to the Kingdoms."

"No, nothing like that. Listen..." She glanced over her shoulder. This was an isolated part of the docks, but there were still people milling about. "Can we talk somewhere privately? Five minutes of your time. That's all I'm asking for."

Solomon stopped watching. She saw his jaw twitch. He had a habit of clenching his teeth when he was thinking. He also clenched his teeth when he was annoyed, which could make reading his mood difficult. When he sighed again, Nimah couldn't tell if it was accepting or annoyed. "Come on," he said. "You have three minutes."

It was better than nothing.

He led her to a storage shed, far enough away from the others and with a door thick enough that they wouldn't be overheard. "What?" he asked once the door was shut.

Most would probably not trust Solomon with all the information right away. But, despite the fact that they'd only worked together a handful of times together, Nimah knew Solomon was not the sort to spread information. He didn't talk to anyone about himself, much less things that didn't concern him. He probably filed away sensitive information in a box int eh back of his head, sealed that box with three locks, and never looked at it or brought it up again. "The person who hired me was on the Raven Isle when Lord Reardon took over," Nimah explained. "Yes, the rumors were true. The king is dead and their court mage and the princess are seeking the Great King of Dragons in the mountains. Apparently, their houses had an alliance once and they were hoping-" Nimah stopped himself when she saw the look on Solomon's face. "What?"