Chapter Eight

Of course, the day after they were almost all abducted by elves was the day of heavier inclines and overcast skies. Everyone was maintaining their pace so far, but Nimah had a feeling their blister risk was high for that day. Except for Kit. He probably didn't get blisters. It was a nice perk in this instance, but probably not worth all the pain he'd been through.

Nimah tried to stay optimistic, though it was difficult when the urge to hold conversation had been bleeding out of her as the days went on. She wondered if the others had noticed and were worried. Then again, no one seemed up for conversation much anyway. Everyone but Kit, but she couldn't talk to him.

Although.

"Did it take you long to learn?" Nimah asked Kit when she was walking alongside him. He shook his head. "Do you think you could teach me?"

Kit looked taken aback for a moment, but was all smiles quickly. He nodded eagerly. "Excellent. You'll be glad to know I'm a fast learner. How do I introduce myself?"

It was a bit difficult to split her attention between the trail and Kit's hand motions, and a few times he had to pause their lessons as they navigated some more difficult terrain. She never said they should stop for good, though, because it kept her mind off the oppressive quiet and aura of worry that seemed to hover over everyone. In fact, a few times she noticed the others watching, learning alongside her. It was the calmest she'd seen them since the mines.

Then the clouds started darkening. Rain came not long after, washing away both the grime coating their bodies and any optimism among the group.

"Don't suppose you can control the weather?" Nimah asked Bo.

If the exhausted look on his face was anything to go on, he'd been asked that before. "No," he said. "I can't. No one can control the weather. Not even the most powerful mages have figured out how." He glanced up at the sky, then at the others. "How soon do you think you can find us shelter?"

"Hopefully soon. Why?"

"I can't stop the rain, but there is one thing I can do. I just don't want to pass out." Bo closed his eyes and started whispering; when they opened, they were glowing faintly, and there was a distinct shimmer around his hands. It was then Nimah realized that the rain had stopped. She looked in to see a shield similar to the one Bo had used to protect them in the mines. "Try to stay close together," Bo said. "It's easier if it's not so big,"

They huddled together under the magical shield, like baby birds under their mother's wing. They encountered an outcropping of rocks about fifteen minutes later. It was just big enough for everyone to fit under. They'd be cramped, and possibly a bit miserable, but at least they'd be reasonably dry. "Would you believe me if I said this wasn't the worst weather I've been caught in?" Nimah asked as they huddled under the rocks.

"I believe it," Solomon grumbled.

"Do I want to know what's worse than this?" Bo added, his voice thick with dread.

"Well, let's just say there's a reason I don't travel north in the winter," Nimah said. "Though it was a life-or-death situation the one time I did. No one died. It worked out."

And at least there's no lightning now, she thought. She kept that to herself when she saw how tired everyone looked. Even Kit seemed tired, and he'd so far travelled without any sign of fatigue or complaint. "Maybe we should eat and turn in early," she suggested.

Everyone agreed unanimously.

They nodded off one by one, with Kit taking first watch. Nimah didn't realize how tired she really was until she settled down in between Kit and Solomon and closed her eyes. It felt like one second she was awake, then the next she was being shaken back into wakefulness by Kit. "Hmm?" Nimah asked. "Is-"