Chapter Five

Alicia woke up that morning with a loud sneeze.

The mattresses in most of these inns were stuffed with straw. That wasn't a problem short-term, but long-term she inevitably ended up sneezing when she slept on them. Back home, she'd never had to worry about that.

It was such a ridiculous thing to worry about when there were so many worse things happening. But so early in the morning, the thought was enough to set a lump in her chest. Alicia rubbed her eyes. Don't think about home, she scolded herself. Don't. Not now. You know better.

It was difficult.

Nimah was already awake; there didn't seem to be any sign of Eve. "Are we go?" Alicia asked, her voice still raspy from sleep.

"Soon." Nimah smiled at her. She always looked so awake so quickly. Alicia wondered how she did it. "Bo and Eve are downstairs getting us breakfast."

Alicia nodded and sat up to stretch. She was surprised she'd been able to get any sleep. In the time immediately after what happened, she'd barely been able to sleep from the nightmares. Perhaps she was too tired for dreams now that she was traveling. If that was the case, she was grateful for it. "How long will it take us to get to your friend?" Alicia asked.

"It depends. If we leave soon and don't take too many long breaks, we'll probably be there before nightfall. Hopefully the weather will hold."

That comment got Alicia up and out of bed. They didn't have time to waste; she couldn't make them wait on her, even if her body longed to get back into bed and keep sleeping. "Let's get going, then. Do we need anything before we leave?"

"Solomon and Kit already went out to get more supplies. Once they've come back and we've all eaten, we'll be ready." Nimah adjusted her belt. "I'll meet you out in the hallway."

Getting ready was easier than it had been at home. It was just a matter of putting her dress back on, putting on her belt, cloak, and shoes, and making sure she had everything packed into her bag. No jewelry, nothing elaborate to do with her hair save to put it back in a simple braid. It wasn't that she disliked the things she wore back home; it was the time it took that had always bothered her. She avoided doing it whenever she could.

Not having any choice in the matter took any enjoyment out of living simply.

As Nimah promised, she was waiting in the hallway and the others were waiting downstairs. Kit was armed with a longbow now, she noticed. Between the weapon and the clothes, he looked nothing like the frightened shadow they'd found in the box. Only his hair and his still a bit thin face gave any indication he'd been through recent hardships. She hoped he felt better along with looking better.

"Good morning," Alicia said. She was met with a chorus of mumbled greetings and a wave from Kit. "Did you sleep all right?" she asked Bo specifically.

"A little." He looked better than he had the day before, but still tired and nervous. She hadn't seen him look so nervous since he first arrived at the Raven Isle—the traveler with no destination in mind. He'd grown calmer the longer he'd stayed, especially after Father named him court mage. All that calm had been undone, like a knitted scarf unraveled into a pile of yarn.

Their lives were just yarn now. God only knew how long it would take them to knit it back together.

Alicia distracted herself by considering what she was going to say to the King of Dragons. It had occurred to her that she'd need to think of something to say, but she'd been putting it off until now. I am Princess Alicia Byrne of House Byrne, Daughter of King Robert and Queen Eldora of the Raven Isle. I am the heir of Lord Robert Wilhem Byrne of Cathmore, he who was known as the Friend of Dragons. He aided your ancestors. I have come seeking your aid in return.