Chapter Eleven

The King and Alicia kept going like that for a while, standing in the middle of that circle, seeming to fade in and out of existence, coming back, and then fading again. It was strange; they were there, unmoving, but somehow not there. It felt like if she were to try and touch them, her hand would go right through. Nimah was tempted to try it a few times, but she refrained. It might ruin the spell, or suck her into the projection. She didn't want to intrude. "Does it normally look like that?" she asked Bo.

It took him a few seconds to register she'd spoken to him. He had finally plucked up the courage to take one of the books off the shelves and start skimming through it. "Is-oh, yes, that's what it looks like. Their bodies are here, but their souls, or...whatever you want to call the thing that makes them who they are is somewhere else. It's very difficult to do, especially for long periods." He stared at the unmoving forms of King Gideon and Alicia. "I had no idea dragons had such powerful magic."

"Nor did I." But to be fair, no one knew anything about dragons, beyond "big" and "breathes fire" and "there used to be more of them." They were more mysterious than the elves, and almost more feared. The only reason they weren't more feared was that they stayed in the mountains these days. They didn't pose the same risk the elves did, not unless you were foolish enough to go wandering into the mountains.

But it seemed they had the ability to reach out and see anywhere they wanted to, and make themselves look human, to boot. Perhaps they were a greater potential threat than people thought. At least they're on our side this time.

"How many lords are on the Raven Isle?" Nimah asked Bo.

"And how many do you think turned?" Solomon added. It was the first thing he'd said since they entered the room, and a legitimate observation on top of that. Even if it brought a cloud of dread over the conversation. "That could make all the difference."

Bo had to think about it for a second. "I'd like to think they're loyal," he said finally, "but I guess you never really know. Anyone can turn under the right pressure. But if they thought we'd be able to regain power..." Bo shrugged. "...no sense in turning against her if they'll just have their status revoked once she's restored to power."

"Some people don't think that far ahead," Solomon said. "They don't have any incentive to learn otherwise. Power is just given to them. They have no reason to learn how best to keep it."

Nimah stared at Solomon, feeling a mixture of bafflement and admiration. "Look at that. The ship builder has an opinion about governing."

"Not really. I just don't like incompetence is all."

"For what it's worth," Bo interjected, "I know several of these men. They're not like that. They're fair and proper rulers."

Solomon didn't look convinced. "I hope so, mage. For her sake."

Out of the corner of her eye, Nimah saw the King and Alicia start moving again. "Good news?" she asked.

"I'm not sure yet." Alicia rubbed her eyes, blinking as though trying to clear something from them. "We've been able to speak to a few of the lords, but we still can't find Lord Minogue. His castle seems to be intact, but there's no sign of him in any of the rooms I thought to check."

"Maybe he's out?" Bo suggested. It was always interesting to watch him try and reassure others. You could see him trying to push down his own near-constant anxiety to try and soothe Alicia's. "I've tried to contact people before but not been able to find them because they were out. You should try again later."

"Later, for sure." King Gideon stepped out of the circle. "I need a drink, and some time to think about what we know. Have you heard any bells?"