Chapter Thirteen

Bo lay in bed for what seemed like a very long time before being forced to admit he couldn't sleep.

That was the downside to sleeping in a real bed, it seemed. Out on the road, he was usually too exhausted to be kept awake by racing thoughts and anxiety. Not so much now that he'd slept properly and eaten a few real meals.

Just try to clear your mind, Botan.

Except he'd been trying to clear his mind for hours.

Never mind, then. Maybe try going for a walk?

He sighed and dragged himself out of bed.

The halls of the castle seemed larger at night. Most of them were so dark that he had to summon his own light to see by. A few times, Bo thought he heard whispers and footsteps in the darkness, but whoever it was, they were always gone by the time he turned to look at them. He wasn't sure where he was going, and it didn't really matter. If he walked enough, maybe he'd finally get tired, and then he'd be able to sleep and do his job effectively in the morning.

As effectively as he could, at any rate, seeing how he was completely in over his head when it came to matters of warfare and infiltration.

Because that was what they were doing. The closest thing to all out war Bo had experienced was the time that he'd accidentally wandered into a massive, alcohol-fueled street brawl while traveling. He was fairly certain the last serious conflict between kingdoms had been the Cathmore-Seirdan civil war, and that was generations ago. Ever since then, everyone had learned to get along, tolerate each other's presences if nothing else, and not constantly throw soldiers at each other. And even if he had grown up in an era of more warfare, he was just the court mage. Despite his fire-based talents, Bo wasn't a fighter. You could specialize in combat-based magic, certainly, but he'd never felt the need.

Needless to say, he was starting to reconsider that decision.

Bo eventually reached a set of stairs, different from the ones he'd spoken to Kit on, and sat down. His thoughts were still racing and he didn't really feel tired, per say, but his legs were starting to ache, so he needed the rest. He tried to calm his mind by making the ball of light in his hand slowly expand and deflate and timing his breathing to the light. It helped a little, but the sudden sound of footsteps negated any calm he may have collected for himself. He stood up, turned around, and saw...

Eve. Just Eve. Actually, she looked just as startled by Bo as he'd been by her. "Sorry," she whispered. "I didn't mean..."

"It's fine, it's fine, I'm jumpy." Bo sat back down, letting the light hover above his head now to illuminate the space better. "You couldn't sleep either?"

"No. Some nights I feel...I can't really describe it, except that I feel strange. Like there's somewhere I need to be, but I don't know where." She sat down next to Bo and straightened out her skirt, keeping her focus on the fabric. "Is everything all right? The others seemed tense."

"Oh, it's..." Bo rubbed his eyes. "Nimah and Kit volunteered to help with the, uhm...well, they want to come along for the invasion, and I know that Alicia and I are worried they might get hurt. But they're insistent, especially Kit. I know Kit technically can't get hurt, but war isn't easy for anyone. And that's what this will be, even if it's not a long one."

Eve hummed quietly. Her fingertips kept tracing the fabric of her skirt. It was the outfit she'd been wearing the day they left for the mountains—that same heavy, rough fabric. "I don't want to add to your worry," she said, "and I certainly don't want to force myself into a situation where I'm not wanted. But know that if there is anything that you all need me for..." She glanced at Bo and smiled. "I feel as if I owe you that much."