IV

Life at home was even more difficult that it had once been. Along with trying to recover from the accident, I also couldn't help but to dwell on the problem of my memory loss. I understand the fact that you never remember what happens when you're drunk and the hangover's pretty fuzzy too, but I've never heard of an alcohol that would give you temporary memory loss. And because of that, I started to seclude myself from the rest of my family and focus more and more on that period of time that I couldn't remember. I would stay in my room with the door locked for hours and not let anyone in and I certainly wasn't going to go out. I would sneak out of my room in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep and grab some food, and then I would be right back in my room. It had been a week since I had gotten in that fight, well more like a beat down, with the football players and spring break was almost over and school would start in less than three days. In all honesty, I had no intention of attending. I was tired of the teasing and taunting, the fights, the injuries, and this stupid disability! I couldn't take it! I'm tired of nothing ever being! I decided to go and get a temporary cure. It may have negative effects but I was past caring now. It was Friday night and I was sure there were a few places around town that didn't have a problem selling alcohol to underage teens. But, I knew that the real challenge was getting from home to the club and back home without being jumped or mugged at eleven o'clock at night. I came up with the solution to dress like the people I was trying to avoid. I wore all black. Black short sleeve polo shirt, baggy jeans, Nike shoes, shades, and a solid black snapback turned backwards. I also put on my black watch and biker gloves. The ones that leave your fingers out. I must admit that I really did like the gang attire. It made me feel tough. Although I still can't really see, I fell as though I could fight and beat the mess out of anyone who was willing to try me. I opened my bedroom door to check to see if anyone was still awake. There was a light coming out of my parents' room but I managed to sneak down the stairs and out of the house without making a sound.

            I had to stop for a second and enjoy the feeling of sneaking out in the middle of the night. It was very quiet out tonight and there wasn't really anybody out, which was weird seeing as everybody's usually out on Fridays. That didn't matter to me; it wasn't going to change my mind. I was headed to the club that I dimly remembered hearing from school right before break. I had just turned the corner at a street and found myself facing an alley that was pitch black except for a dim light all the way at the end. I assumed that was the club based on the directions on how to get there. I was a little scared at first but then my desperation outweighed my fear and I took my first step into the dark alley way.

"I wouldn't suggest takin' another step if I was you." A voice said from out of the darkness.

"Well, it's too bad you're not me." I said, speaking off of instinct. I took another step and was completely engulfed in darkness. I immediately felt myself being slammed and pinned into the wall.

"Now what business you got here?" The voice asked. I felt the unmistakable sharpness of a blade being pressed against my throat.

"My business is my own and I would suggest letting me go before I beat the mess outta you and anybody else that's with you." I said with much more confidence than I actually have. My eyes have started to clear up and I could start to see the outline of a group of people standing in front of me. I could tell that the one holding me against the wall was the biggest of the group and there was about seven or eight others. They had all started laughing at my threat but stopped immediately when the guy in the middle, I'm assuming he's the leader, cleared his throat.

"What's your name?" Leaderdude asked. His voice was really deep. He sounded almost thirty or forty years old.

"I'll tell you if you call off your guard dog over here." I responded. The big guy let me go and backed up beside Leaderdude.