Chapter 2

"You know it would be a shame if that dress was ruined," a voice said behind Lexi.

The voice sounded smooth, like silk, and she had to admit that it was doing something crazy to her insides. Lexi felt a shiver run down her spine and she knew that Amanda could see the look on her face. She glanced up and saw that her friend was looking at her with a satisfied smirk and was daring her to turn around and see the face that matched the voice.

She slowly turned and came face to face with what had to be one of the best looking men that she had ever seen. He had dark hair and eyes. Stood at least a good foot taller than her 5'4" frame, and looked like he was lean and had just enough muscle to suit Lexi's liking.

"Yea it would, especially since Lex just bought this dress last week." Annie piped up when she noticed that her friend was searching for something to say.

"Well then I insist that you let me take care of the dry cleaning bill and all of the drinks tonight are on the house," he said.

"That's not necessary..." Lexi started as she wondered how he could possibly do that.

"Lex, this is Nick, he owns the club. Nick, this is one of my best friends, Lexi Kennedy," Amanda said, taking control of the conversation.

"Well when Amanda said that she wanted me to meet a friend of hers, she failed to mention that this friend was very beautiful" Nick said as he looked down at Lexi. The smile on his face made her insides turn completely to jello.

"Thanks, she failed to mention a few things to me too" Lexi smiled as she raised her eyebrows.

Charlie cleared her throat and glanced at Annie with a smile. Nick and Lexi both looked up.

"Since we have been clearly forgotten about, I'm Charlie and this is Annie" she said as she pointed between herself and the blonde standing next to her.

"Nick, why don't you sit and have a drink with us, we're straining our necks looking up at you," Amanda suggested with a satisfied smirk.

"That uh sounds good, that is if the rest of you ladies don't mind?" Nick wondered aloud as he kept his gaze firmly locked on Lexi.

"Nope, we don't mind at all," Charlie said as her phone rang. She looked down and groaned. "I need to take this, it's about the gig I set up for the band next week," she said as she reached for her jacket.

"I should probably leave anyway, it's going to be crazy trying to get a cab at this hour" Annie replied.

"Annie! I am staying with you and Austin tonight since the latch on the bedroom window in my apartment is busted and the landlord can't get to it until tomorrow afternoon, since the apartment next to mine was broken into this afternoon. Besides it is only 8:30" Lexi reminded her friend.

"Then I'm going outside. I gotta call Austin and remind him there are leftovers. You know if I don't he won't eat tonight until after he gets off work tonight," Annie said, as she pulled out her phone and got up to follow Charlie.

Lexi grounded her teeth to keep from shouting out at her friend. It was a good excuse, however weak. If she was really that worried she wouldn't have left him alone. Not that her worry didn't have merits. Austin was known to skip a meal or two in pursuit of a new case. But then again, both Lexi and Annie had been raised around cops, and Austin was no exception to the rules of cases coming first. She glanced over at Amanda and knew that her friend was going to be making her own excuse to leave the table soon enough. Her friends were nothing if not subtle.

''you kids have fun. I think I've spotted my own target for the night." Taking one quick sip of her margarita Amanda scooted out of the booth aiming toward a group of young men who had just entered.