Chapter 3

Lexi let out a string of curse words as she raced around her apartment trying to get ready for brunch with her family. She was supposed to be meeting them at ten that morning and it was already a quarter till.

"Momma is going to kill me if I'm late," Lexi groaned as she put the finishing touches on her makeup and stepped into her shoes.

As if on cue her cell phone rang, she looked down and saw that it was her sister Jessie calling her to make sure that she was on the way.

"I know, I know, I'm late, I'm on the way out the door now," she answered by way of a greeting.

"Hello to you too little sis. I just wanted to make sure that you were coming. Everyone else is waiting for you. I will order a Mimosa for you so it will be waiting for you when you get here," Jessie replied.

"Great. Whatever Momma and Lisa need to ask me must be really good if it requires alcohol," Lexi replied with a sigh as she hailed a cab and gave the driver the address for the Inn where she was meeting her family.

"I really couldn't say, they did not clue me in on whatever this brilliant plan is of theirs, just hurry up and get here," Jessie said before she disconnected the call.

Lexi looked down at her phone and shook her head. A short time later she stepped out of the cab in front of the Inn and paid the driver.

"Sorry I'm late. I overslept this morning," she said as she greeted her parents, stopping to kiss both her mom and Pops on the cheek.

"It's okay, Lex. We just ordered. Did the super ever fix your window?" Pops asked as she sat down next to him.

"Yeah, he came by yesterday.The latch is fixed for now" Lexi answered as Jessie handed her her drink.

"You need to move out of that place. It's so unsafe. I worry about you being there by yourself," Angela said as she looked pointedly at her daughter.

"I know, Momma, but I can't find one that is close to the hospital and affordable too." Lexi sighed before ordering one of her favorite breakfasts.

She listened as her family talked about their week, jobs, and what the kids were doing. She laughed along with her nieces and tried to join in the conversations, but her mind kept going back to thoughts of the night that she met Nick and how much she had enjoyed meeting him.

'I probably won't see him again since he didn't ask for my number, not surprising since that is the way my luck usually runs.' Lexi thought to herself.

"So what is this brilliant idea that you and Lisa have, Momma? No one has told me anything about it," Lexi wondered as her food arrived.

"Okay, well you have to promise to hear us out and not say no right away," Lisa replied.

"Okay, out with it," Lexi insisted.

"Well you know that Momma and I have been looking at ways to raise more money at the fundraiser for the WOF this year and we think we have done it. Most of the donors are tired of the usual silent auction, so I was thinking about changing things up, and doing a date auction. We want thirteen lovely ladies who will be auctioned off for dates with the male guests and we already have twelve ladies who have agreed to do it," Lisa explained.

"You just need number thirteen and the youngest, unmarried daughter of a police captain and the head of the Widows and Orphans Fund would fit the bill perfectly," Lexi replied with a glare.

"Oh come on, Lex, you would probably fetch the highest price of anyone there and you know it. You are not seeing anyone seriously and it is all for charity," Lisa reasoned.