Chapter 5

"What do you mean he hasn't asked you out again yet? You went out over a week ago." Amanda wondered as she sipped her water while she and Lexi waited for their lunch.

The two were out shopping for a birthday present for one of Lexi's nieces, and had decided to have lunch while they were out.

"Exactly that, he left abruptly saying that a friend had come into town unexpectedly and that he needed to go. He's called and texted a few times, but hasn't asked me out again. So either he is really busy or wasn't into me like we thought," Lexi replied as she sipped her own drink.

"Oh he was into you, I'm sure of it. You had the boy buying flowers for you. Nick is a nice guy, but he never sent me flowers and I slept with him. Maybe he's just busy. I'll see if I can get him to talk to me," the brunette said as she reached for her phone.

"Amanda! Don't please! I'm sure I'm overthinking things. I mean I was going to invite him inside if his phone hadn't gone off, maybe he thought it was too easy or something," Lexi reasoned.

"Lex! You are anything but easy. I slept with him so I'm sure that that's not it. I'm sure he has a good reason for not asking you out on that second date. At least he better have a good reason for doing this to one of my besties." Amanda glared playfully.

"Aw, thanks Amanda. We both know that your bark is way worse than your bite." Lexi giggled as her friend threw a napkin at her.

Their food arrived shortly after that, and when they were done, they returned to their shopping.

"So are we going with a Barbie Dream House or an Easy Bake Oven?" Amanda asked as they headed into the toy store.

"Neither, this is for Bailey, she is all about dress up and ballet. I'm going to get her a chest with dress up clothes in it," Lexi said with a smile.

"Cute, she will love that. You are so good at picking out gifts for people. How do you do it?" Amanda wondered with a giggle.

"It's a gift." Lexi giggled back at her own joke.

"So we still have nothing on the Mutt," Nick groaned as he stared at the map in front of him.

"Yep, a whole lot of nothing other than the fact that this bastard likes to kill people that no one would miss and that they only go missing once a month," Clay grumbled.

"So nothing more than what we knew before Jeremy sent you down here. Great. I do not want to make that call," Nick replied.

"I'll call Jeremy later and let him know what's going on, but I won't mention that you were distracted by your phone. What's going on with you man?" Clay asked.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I've just been busy with this and the club," Nick reasoned.

"Yeah keep tellin' yourself that, if I didn't know you any better, I'd say that you're thinking about a woman. Who is she?" Clay questioned.

"Noone. I have to head to the club to check in with the contractor, do you wanna come with, or do you wanna stay here?" Nick asked as a way of changing the subject.

"I'll come with, I'm goin' stir crazy in this apartment," Clay answered as he grabbed his jacket.

The two of them had just entered the club when Nick heard the sound of Amanda's high heels clicking on the floor.

"Hey, Amanda," he said as he looked everywhere but at her face.

"That's all I get? Hey, Amanda? I want to know why you haven't asked Lexi out on a second date yet," she demanded with a glare.